Study at the Faculty of Agriculture in Truro
Top 5 reasons to study Plant Science at Dalhousie:
- Go beyond traditional botany or plant biology: Our comprehensive program is unique in its approach to the growth and production of field and horticultural crops.
- Get a well-rounded education: You'll gain the right balance of skills, knowledge, work experience and reasoning, so you’re equipped to research and investigate problems related to food security and quality.
- Choose your specialty: We offer programs in all aspects of plant science, including agronomy, horticulture and ornamental horticulture, crop physiology, stress physiology and metabolism, cropping systems, neutraceuticals, bioactive compounds, and organic crop production.
- Get hands-on experience: We offer fully automated plant growth rooms, rhizotrons, tissue and cell culture laboratories, and state-of-the-art eco-physiological equipment.
- Be business minded: With our strong entrepreneurial emphasis, you’ll learn skills that can help you to be your own boss.
With so much hands-on experience, you’ll be ready for a career in a range of areas. You might be a fruit and vegetable inspector, become a crop scout, or you could go back to the source and pursue plant breeding and development. As well, you can find opportunities in research and education.
What will I learn?
Plant Science is a broad topic that we teach through the lens of agriculture, yet it's relevant for a variety of practice specialties. You’ll learn about plant diversity; eco-physiology; nutrient management; strategies for disease, insect and weed management; and sustainable production methods.