Strategic Research Direction
For more than two centuries, Dalhousie has been building an environment that enables researchers to think big, innovate and make discoveries that benefit society locally, nationally and around the world.
Our Strategic Research Direction, Inclusive Impact, highlights how we aspire to create a healthier, more sustainable and brighter future for us all through our six areas of research strength.
Strategic Research Clusters
Our work is focused around six Strategic Areas of Research that align our academic strengths to best address key global challenges. Explore our Strategic Research Clusters.
We value diverse perspectives, expertise and methods of scholarship that push the boundaries of research and discovery in every field.
We strive to create an environment that empowers our researchers to advance knowledge on the most pressing challenges of our time.
Our research and innovation has real impact on the health, culture, environment and economy of our region, our country and the world.
Taking action on the UN Sustainable Development Goals
Our research contributes to the broader global response to the most pressing economic, social, and environmental challenges, in ways that are measurable and collective. Learn more about how Dalhousie is making an impact.
Our guiding principles
As part of Dalhousie’s Third Century Promise, we continue to focus our actions on growing world-leading research programs in our areas of particular strength, and investing in infrastructure that supports our researchers to achieve excellence.
- Encourage and support emerging areas of discovery and exploration to develop the full potential of our research clusters.
- Enhance logistical research services, funding, and other supports for our research communities.
- Identify and nurture new research networks, nationally and internationally.
- Increase the number and diversity of our PhD and post-doctoral scholars.
- Expand and strengthen our R&D linkages with industry and community partners.
- Formalize and streamline Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I&E) programming across Dalhousie.
- Collect and share essential research performance data to refine Dalhousie’s rankings submissions.
- Integrate sustainability, environmental responsibility, social justice, and climate change themes in funding campaigns to support the UN SDG goals.