Dalhousie University aims to reduce and divert solid, liquid, and hazardous waste from the landfill. A formal University Waste Management Plan [PDF - 589KB] has been created to guide future actions. For a summary of 'What Goes Where", review the Dalhousie Waste Management Guide [PDF - 58KB].
Dalhousie tracks material stream categories diversion in the following categories:
- Paper and cardboard;
- Organic (e.g. food, yard, farm);
- Recyclables (e.g. plastic, glass, metal);
- Construction and demolition;
- Hazardous (nine classes);
- Universal: products with some toxins such as electronic waste and batteries;
- Composite and miscellaneous waste.
For a more detailed description of the nine materials streams view Materials Categorization Guide [562 - KB]. For additional details on Dalhousie waste management program, auditing procedures, waste audits, and the ICI manual, see publications and plans.