From around the globe and around the corner, students flourish here
At last count, Dalhousie hosts approximately 18,800 full- and part-time students. Our campus reflects a diverse mix of students from many different backgrounds.
Read about some of the incredible things our students are accomplishing on the Dal News site.
“It wasn’t a matter of if I would get involved, but how. It’s something I would advise any student to do. It builds a sense of community, a sense of belonging and a sense of the bigger picture beyond academia.”
– Amina Abawajy, Informatics and International Development Studies student
Where do our students come from?
- Almost half are from Nova Scotia (40%)
- The other half come from locations across Canada and around the world.
- Dalhousie hosts over 2,500 international students from more than 115 countries.
Our students are a smart bunch:
- The average entering grade of first-year students is 88% (2014).
- 99% of first-year students arrive from high school with averages of 75% or higher.
- 61% of first-year students receive entrance scholarships.
- Dalhousie boasts 90 Rhodes Scholars, far more than any other university in the region. Our most recent Rhodes Scholar (2017), Maike van Niekerk, graduated with her Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing.
- In 2015-16, 89 Dalhousie varsity athletes were recognized as Academic All-Canadians.
- Our students rank 5th nationally for the number of academic awards they win (5.9/1,000).
When our students graduate, they join our over 130,000 Dalhousie alumni. Check out what our alumni are up to on the Alumni website.