From around the globe and around the corner, students flourish here
At last count, Dalhousie hosts approximately 19,000 full- and part-time students. Our campus reflects a diverse mix of students from many different backgrounds.
Read about some of the incredible things our students are accomplishing on the Dal News site.
“It wasn’t a matter of if I would get involved, but how. It’s something I would advise any student to do. It builds a sense of community, a sense of belonging and a sense of the bigger picture beyond academia.”
– Amina Abawajy, Informatics and International Development Studies student; Student Union president, 2017-18
Where do our students come from?
- A quarter are from Nova Scotia
- The others come from locations across Canada and around the world.
- Dalhousie hosts nearly 4,000 international students from more than 115 countries.
Our students are a smart bunch:
- The average entering grade of first-year students is 87.6%.
- Dalhousie boasts 91 Rhodes Scholars, far more than any other university in the region. Our most recent Rhodes Scholar (2018), is Mechanical Engineering co-op student Nayani Jensen.
- In 2016-17, 99 Dalhousie varsity athletes were recognized as Academic All-Canadians.
- Our students rank 5th nationally for the number of academic awards they win (5.9/1,000).
- 1,400 first-year students received entrance awards (2016).
When our students graduate, they join our over 135,000 Dalhousie alumni. Check out what our alumni are up to on the Alumni website.