From around the globe and around the corner, students flourish here
At last count, Dalhousie hosts approximately 18,800 full- and part-time students. Our campus reflects a diverse mix of students from many different backgrounds.
Read about some of the incredible things our students are accomplishing on the Dal News site.
“It wasn’t a matter of if I would get involved, but how. It’s something I would advise any student to do. It builds a sense of community, a sense of belonging and a sense of the bigger picture beyond academia.”
– Amina Abawajy, Informatics and International Development Studies student; Student Union president, 2017-18
Where do our students come from?
- A third are from Nova Scotia
- The others come from locations across Canada and around the world.
- Dalhousie hosts over 3,000 international students from more than 115 countries.
Our students are a smart bunch:
- The average entering grade of first-year students is 88%.
- Dalhousie boasts 90 Rhodes Scholars, far more than any other university in the region. Our most recent Rhodes Scholar (2017), Maike van Niekerk, graduated with her Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing.
- In 2015-16, 89 Dalhousie varsity athletes were recognized as Academic All-Canadians.
- Our students rank 5th nationally for the number of academic awards they win (5.9/1,000).
- 1,400 first-year students received entrance awards last year (2016).
When our students graduate, they join our over 130,000 Dalhousie alumni. Check out what our alumni are up to on the Alumni website.