What to Bring to Residence
To ensure you are complying with public health guidelines put in place to ensure the health and safety of our residence community, please bring:
- Masks (if using cloth reusable masks, ensure they're washed often)
- Hand sanitizer
- Extra cleaning and sanitizing supplies for cleaning your room
- A reliable thermometer
Make yourself at home.
Order online and pick up in store.
Tips and suggestions
We want you to have a comfortable stay. Here are some tips for packing smart and bringing the things you'll need to feel right at home.
What's already in your room
- Twin XL bed and mattress* (extra-long sheets are recommended)
- Desk and chair
- Bureau (or drawers under bed)
- Waste / recycling basket
- Window with drapes
*Some rooms on the Truro campus have double beds. You will be notified before you move in if you will be getting a double bed.
What you may want to bring
- Government-issued photo ID (for example, driver’s licence or passport but not high school ID card) is required to get your DalCard
- Proof of any private health insurance
- Provincial health card, if applicable
- All university documents, including a copy of your offer of admission, offer letters for scholarships and bursaries and any paperwork related to your government student loan or bank line of credit
- Emergency contact information
- A formal outfit
- Exercise gear
- Government issued photo ID
- Cold, flu, and pain relief medicine, as well as any prescription medications you may require
- First aid kit
- Cell phone + charger
- Seasonal outerwear and rain gear, including waterproof shoes or boots, and warm clothes for the winter
- Pillows + pillowcases
- Sheets (Twin extra-long recommended)
- Duvet / comforter
Did you know the Dal Bookstore carries lots of great items for your residence, including bedding, pillows, towels and more? For a complete selection of Dorm Goods, check out the Dal Bookstore's website.
- Pencils + erasers
- 3-hole punch
- Backpack / book bag
- Index cards
- Post-it notes
- Laptop + charger
- Printer* + paper + ink
- Paper clips + binder clips
- Agenda / academic planner
- Whiteboard + dry erase markers
* To prevent WiFi signal interference, your printer's wireless function must be disabled at all times. To connect to your printer, please use a USB cable.
The Dal Bookstore carries a wide variety of school supplies - including calculators, stationery, backpacks and more!
Shower and bathroom supplies
- Shower caddy
- Shower shoes / flip flops
- Bath towels (Available from the Dal Bookstore)
- Hair products
- Toothbrush + toothpaste + floss
- Personal toiletries (makeup, deodorant, etc.)
- Hair appliances
- Personal tools (nail clippers, tweezers, razor, etc.)
- Body wash / shower soap
- Laundry basket / bag
- Travel mug
- Adhesive removable hooks
- A set of dishes
- Lightweight message board (cork or dry-erase)
- Stereo system with headphones (no sub-woofers)
- Luggage for short-term travel
- Power bar (CSA approved)
- Adhesive removable poster strips (3M brand)
- Removable adhesives like sticky tack or ‘removable stickies’ available at your residence front desk
- Posters and family photos (affixed with poster strips)
Important: You can’t use tape or tacks when hanging up posters and photos. You will be charged at the end of the year for any damage to your walls due to using unauthorized hanging material or techniques.
Convenience and service: Check out the Dal Bookstore where you can find many useful items for your room. Bonus! Order online by the posted deadline to have them delivered right to your residence! Learn more about our Home & Dorm Essentials program.
- Chemical-free, environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Handheld broom
- Paper towels / reusable cloths
- Extra cleaning and disinfecting products due to COVID-19 precautions
Please note: Students living in LeMarchant Place are responsible for cleaning their own suite and bathrooms. The following is a list of recommended items for these students:
- Toilet brush
- Toilet paper
- All purpose bathroom cleaner and sponge
- Broom / mop
- Laundry basket / bag
- High efficiency laundry detergent*
- Foldable clothing drying rack
- Sewing kit
- Iron + mini ironing board
- Space bags to store seasonal items
- DalCard can be used for laundry in Shirreff, Risley, the LeMarchant Place and parts of Howe (Fountain, Bronson and Smith Houses). Otherwise, you’ll need Loonies (Canadian dollar coins) and quarters. Laundry fee is included in the residence fee for Truro campus.
*Note that regular laundry detergent clogs the machines. Please bring detergent for high-efficiency machines.
Items not allowed in residence
- Candles, incense, potpourri pots, open flames of any kind
- Extension cords
- Multiple receptacle outlets
- Halogen lamps, holiday/decorative mini lights
- Toasters, toaster ovens and hot plates
- Microwaves larger than 1.0 cubic ft.
- Fridges larger than 3.2 cubic ft.
- Sandwich makers, electric grills, barbeques, rice makers, electric woks, frying pans
- Wireless routers and other network devices
- Firearms, BB guns, air pistols, pellet guns, other weapons
- Explosive devices, propane canisters, flammable liquids
- Space heaters
- Milk crates
- Pets (except small fish in a fishbowl)
- Any other materials or objects that may endanger student health and safety in residence
- Be sure to review your Residence Code of Conduct to learn more about these and other ways we're creating a safe and comfortable community.
Personal insurance for your belongings
Purchasing personal insurance for your belongings is up to you. The university is not liable, directly or indirectly, for theft or loss of personal property due to fire, water, or any other cause. Therefore, just like for an apartment, you are encouraged to have your own insurance against loss or damage to personal property. You might be covered under your parents' home policy while living in residence. Be sure to check that out before you arrive.
Plan to personalize your room
Make your space your own by adding some personal style to your residence room. You might want to bring photos or posters, a small rug or throw pillows. Just remember to use sticky tack, adhesive poster strips or adhesive hooks to hang things on the wall. Nails, screws, tacks, staples, pins and tape are not allowed. Learn more about the rules for decorating your room.