Family & Friends
Supporting a smooth transition into university life
As a parent, guardian or family member, your support is important to helping your student succeed in their new home-away-from-home. To help you manage this process, we've brought together key information that will help you and your student prepare for living at Dalhousie University.
Here are a few things you may want to check out when your student gets accepted to Dal:
- meal plan information
- putting money on your student's DalCard
- setting up and checking Dal email
- what to bring to residence
- important dates and deadlines
- fall move-in information
10 residence tips for family and friends
- Dal email: Remind your student to set up and check their Dal email regularly after they are accepted.
- Fill out Residence Agreement: Remind your student to complete the agreement before arriving in September. Access it through your residence application on DalOnline or check your Dal email for it.
- Meal plans included: Your student’s meal plan is included in their residence fees. If you want to make a change, contact the Residence Office.
- Important dates: Find out when your student can move in to residence, eat their first meal in the cafeteria and other important dates.
- Sheet sizes: Beds in residence are twins*—we recommend extra-long sheets. Check out Dal Dorm Essentials to order.
*Some rooms on the Truro campus have double beds. We will let you know before you move in if you will be getting a double bed.
- Fridge sizes: Students are allowed to have fridges less than 3.2 cubic ft. Order a mini-fridge from Dal Dorm Essentials and have it delivered right to your room.
- Textbooks: Encourage your student to order their books online and have them delivered to their residence in time for Move-in Day.
- Storage: Each residence in Halifax has extra storage for your student’s hockey gear and bike so they don’t have to keep it in their room. Truro has bike racks outside.
- Mail: Students love receiving mail and care packages. Check out the Dal Bookstore for great gift ideas.
Find Halifax campus mailing addresses and Truro campus mailing addresses. Note that Dal can’t accept mail for a student until they move in.
- Student Health & Wellness: Ensure your student brings their health card with them. A student health plan is available through the university.
Learn more about student health & wellness services on campus.
Wait to plan for the December holiday break
Students are required to leave residence within 24 hours of their last fall-term exam. Residence buildings close for winter break at noon the day after the last exam scheduled in the Undergraduate Calendar. Please don't make travel arrangements until your student has their own personal exam schedule!
Belongings can be left in your student's room during the December break. The residences will not re-open until January, so remind your student to take everything they might need when they leave.