During the Holidays

Residences close in December for the holiday break

To faciliate a comfortable study environment for those still writing exams, you are required to leave residence within 24 hours of your last exam.

Residence buildings close for the winter break at noon the day after the last exam scheduled in the Undergraduate Calendar. IMPORTANT: Please don't make your travel arrangements until you know your own personal exam schedule!

You can leave all of your things in your room during the December holiday break

However, before leaving please ensure you:

  • close your windows
  • ensure everything is turned off
  • if you have a fridge, make sure you have emptied it of everything that could go bad during the period you are away
  • remove any garbage
  • check your mailbox

The residences will not re-open until January, so ensure you take everything you might need when you leave for the break.

For a full list of closures and other important dates, please see Important Dates & Deadlines.

Emergency accommodation is available (charges apply). Contact the Residence Office for details.

Co-Op/Graduating Students

In order to ensure your fees are adjusted accordingly, it is vital that we receive proper notification. Confirmation of your work placement must be in the form of a written letter from the appropriate co-op or academic office. It is your responsibility to ensure that the Residence Office receives this notification, so be sure to follow-up accordingly.

If you are on co-op, this letter must include your name, Banner ID, the reason for your departure, what city/province your placement is in, and the dates you will be gone. If your work term is within the Halifax area, you are expected to remain in residence.

Please be aware that students who leave residence without proper authorization from the Residence Office will be financially responsible for their entire residence fee for the January-April term.

Are you permanently moving out in December?

If you have been approved to move out of residence in December, please contact the Dal Residence office by email to complete your paperwork and close your account.