Black and African Diaspora Studies (Minor)
Why choose Black and African Diaspora Studies at Dal?
African peoples have had a presence in Canada for over 400 years. However, the rich histories of African-Canadian people, which are marked by oppression and racial injustice but also by resistance and empowerment, have often been ignored.
In this minor program, you'll explore African-Canadian society and culture from both a historical and contemporary perspective. Through core courses and other materials, you will discover, analyze and celebrate the history, culture and sociology of Black people in Canada and of the global African diaspora.
You'll trace the historical journey from original Black communities in what is now Atlantic Canada to the movement of people to Central Canada and, finally, to lands in the West. This history will be examined in both periods of French and British colonization.
You'll also examine contemporary challenges, placing structural and institutionalized racism under a critical lens. Elective courses focus on a range of topics, from Black literature to music, spirituality and cultural expression in various communities in the African diaspora, giving you a comprehensive and well-rounded perspective.
BA, BSc, BComm, BInf, BCS, BMgmt, BMus
- Interdisciplinary minor (3-4 years)
Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours, including the following courses:
- SOSA 2005.03: Introduction to African Canadian Studies
- Society, History and Culture
- One of PHIL 2165.3: Philosophy and the Black Experience or CTMP 2115.03: The Idea of Race in Philosophy, Literature and Art
In addition, students must complete 12 credit hours from a list of approved electives.
Required high school courses:
- Four additional university preparatory courses
Recommended high school courses:
- A second language
See Admissions Requirements for more information.
Application Deadline and Program Dates
- March 15 - Deadline for scholarship consideration for fall semester
- April 1 - International students
- June 1 - All Canadian and American applications
Other important program dates
Use our Fee Calculator to estimate the cost of a full year at Dalhousie.
Residence & Housing
Whether you're applying to one of our residence halls or you’re looking for help with an off-campus apartment search, Dalhousie’s Residence and Housing services can help.
- Meal plans
- Dorm-style traditional residences
- Apartment-style, non-traditional
- Off-campus housing