How to apply

Deadline for application

MES applicants must contact one or more core SRES professors, specifically those individuals with a similar area of interest, well before submitting an application to begin a conversation about alignment with the School and establishing a potential supervision relationship.  View professor profiles.  Please also view "How to express interest in working with a SRES Professor."

Applicants who are potentially eligible for Tri-Agency Scholarships (i.e., NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR) must contact SRES prior to the agency deadline of December 1.  As well, the  Harmonized Scholarship Process (HSP), which has a common application for several competitions, including Killam and Nova Scotia Graduate Scholarship, has an internal deadline of December 15.  Questions about eligibility should be addressed to and a potential supervisor should be contacted well in advance of these deadlines. See Funding & Support for information on these and other opportunities.

Each year, the School strongly encourages applications to be filed by January 31 - early applications get priority consideration. However, we warmly welcome applications through February and March if space permits.

Admission is for September only.

Submission instructions

1. Application

The Application for Admission form can be submitted online, obtained from the Registrar's Office (, or printed from the Graduate Studies forms page.

If mailing a paper copy and fee, these must go to
Registrar's Office
6299 South Street, Room 130
Dalhousie University
P.O. Box 15000
Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 4R2

2. Supporting documents

The supporting documents listed below can be sent directly to the School for Resource and Environmental Studies:

Mailing address
School for Resource and Environmental Studies
Faculty of Management
6100 University Avenue
Dalhousie University
P.O. Box 15000
Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 4R2

Courier address
School for Resource and Environmental Studies
Dalhousie University
Kenneth C. Rowe Management Bldg 
6100 University Avenue, Suite 5010 
Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 4R2


  • Two copies of sealed, official transcripts issued directly from all institutions attended. This includes exchange programs and any courses taken outside your home university.

Academic reference letters

  • Two academic letters of reference submitted either electronically or mailed. Two academic references are preferred unless an applicant has been out of school for at least five years. If this is the case, we will accept one academic and one employment reference.
    • For electronic submission of reference letters, the referee must wait to be contacted by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. The Graduate Studies representative will send instruction as well as a link to the online form.
    • Paper submission of reference letters must be mailed using the Confidential Letter Form [PDF] available on the Faculty of Graduate Studies website.


  • A full curriculum vitae (résumé) highlighting personal academics and work history, publications, awards, fellowships, extra-curricular interests and research and volunteer experience.

Statement of research interest

  • In a statement not exceeding two pages, single-spaced, applicants must explain their research interests and one or more possible thesis topics. A potential supervisor can provide advice on possible research topics and guide an applicant through the process of creating a strong research-interest statement. The cv and statement can be emailed to

Applicants with English as a second language

  • Proof of competence in English: Students must provide satisfactory results from a standard language test, such as TOEFL (minimum score of 100 for the internet-based test);  IELTS (7.5 minimum score); CCE (A). Waiver of this regulation in exceptional cases may be considered only after evaluation of the application is complete. For more information, see the Graduate Studies admissions requirements

  • International students
    International students must clearly indicate their source of funding on their application. Applicants may be contacted for further documents to show available financial support.

For more information see the Faculty of Graduate Studies website.