3M National Student Fellowship
Note: Award criteria have been changed as of 2019 and graduate-level students are no longer eligible to apply.
Nominations for 2021 Award
The 3M National Student Fellowship honours up to ten full-time undergraduate students at Canadian post-secondary institutions who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in their lives, at their post-secondary institution. These students embrace a vision of education that enhances their academic experience and beyond
Learn more about 2020 winner Qendresa Sahiti in Dal News, 2019 winners Mariam Ragab and Hayat Showail in Dal News, 2018 winner Martha Paynter in Dal News. and 2017 winners Bai Bintou Kaira and Anika Riopel in Dal News.
Hear what Dalhousie's 2014 3M winner has to say! Read the Dal News article and the 2013-14 Dalhousie Student Life Report. Since these articles were written, Alex has done research at MIT (June 2015-August 2016), graduated from Dal Engineering (May 2016) and was accepted into Harvard Law (Fall 2016).
Each awardee will receive an award of $5,000 to be spent at their discretion. Further, each awardee will be invited to join other award winners at the annual conference of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE), where they will also participate in a 3M National Student Fellowship Program retreat and lead the closing plenary. Awardees will receive a contribution towards their cost of travel, accomodation during the conference, and conference registration. While at the conference, they will have the opportunity to develop a cohort-based collaborative project with the goal of enhancing teaching and learning at the post-secondary level. The cohort commits the year following their award to implementing and sustaining their project. A facilitator supports the cohort in the development, implementation and sustainability of their project and advises on synergies with STLHE SIGs and previous 3MNSF cohorts.
- Nominees must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree or college program at a post-secondary Canadian institution.
- Nominees must have completed at least one full semester of study at the time of nomination
- Nominees must have not previously received a 3M student fellowship
How to Apply
- Prepare your application following the detailed instructions on the STLHE 3M National Student Fellowship website
- Date TBA - Internal deadline to submit your application package for review, prior to the final submission deadline TBA. Please email your complete package, including nomination and letters of support, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Linda will liaise with the Office of the Vice-Provost, Student Affairs on the required statement from the Vice-Provost.
- Date TBA - Deadline to submit your complete package, electronically, as a single PDF through the STLHE 3M National Student Fellowship Awards Dropbox.