3M National Student Fellowship
Nominations for 2017 Award
* Students are welcome to attend a 3M National Student Fellowship information session on November 28th from 4:00-5:00 pm in Room B400, Killam Library (Halifax) and Room 254, Haley Institute (Truro) by video-conference. The infomation session will provide insight on the award as well as tips on how to prepare a nomination package.
The 3M National Student Fellowship honours up to ten full-time students at Canadian post-secondary institutions who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in their lives, at their post-secondary institution. These students embrace a vision of education that enhances their academic experience and beyond
Hear what Dalhousie's 2014 3M winner has to say! Read the Dal News article and the 2013-14 Dalhousie Student Life Report. Since these articles were written, Alex has done research at MIT (June 2015-August 2016), graduated from Dal Engineering (May 2016) and was accepted into Harvard Law (Fall 2016).
Each awardee will receive an award of $5,000 to be spent at their discretion. Further, each awardee will be invited to join other award winners at the annual conference of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE), where they will also participate in a 3M National Student Fellowship Program retreat and lead the closing plenary. Awardees will receive a contribution towards their cost of travel, accomodation during the conference, and conference registration. While at the conference, they will have the opportunity to develop a cohort-based collaborative project with the goal of enhancing teaching and learning at the post-secondary level. The cohort commits the year following their award to implementing and sustaining their project. A facilitator supports the cohort in the development, implementation and sustainability of their project and advises on synergies with STLHE SIGs and previous 3MNSF cohorts.
- Nominees must be enrolled full time in a post-secondary Canadian institution
- Nominees must have completed at least one full semester of study at the time of nomination
- Nominees must have not previously received a 3M student fellowship
How to Apply
- Start your application as instructed by the STLHE 3M National Student Fellowship website
- Nomination packages should be received at Students Affairs by January 16 for review, prior to the submission deadline of January 31, 2017. Please email your complete package, including nomination letters of support, to Cassandra.Larose@dal.ca or if you would like to submit a hard copy, please see Cassandra in Room 329, 3rd floor, Henry Hicks Building by January 16, 2017. Cassandra will liaise with the Vice-Provost, Student Affairs Office on the support statements.
- January 31, 2017 - Deadline to submit your complete package, electronically, as a single PDF through the STLHE 3M National Student Fellowship Awards Dropbox.