Dean, Faculty of Health (Acting) and Associate Professor
- Chronic Disease Chronic Condition
- Health Professional Education
- Curriculum Evaluation
- Objective Measurement
- Activities of daily living
- School of Nursing, Dalhousie University
- Department of International Development Studies, Dalhousie University
- Ph.D., Education and Human Resource Studies (Interdisciplinary program between Educational Leadership and Occupational Therapy), Colorado State University, 2000-2007
- M.S., Occupational Therapy, Colorado State University 1997-2000
- B.S., Psychology, Colorado State University, 1996-1997
- B.S., Equine Science (science concentration), Colorado State University 1986-1990
Brenda’s research interests include investigating how chronic health conditions (e.g., HIV, stroke), injury, and/or key determinants of health (e.g., gender, age, sexuality) impact a person’s ability to participate in chosen and necessary daily life activities. Brenda’s additional area of research revolves around curriculum design/evaluation and educational leadership.
- O'Brien K.K., Ibanez-Carrasco I., Solomon P., Harding R., Cattaneo J., Chegwidden W., Gahagan J., Baxter L., Worthington C., Gayle P., Merritt B., Baltzer-Turje R., Iku N., & Zack E. (2014). Advancing research and practice in HIV and rehabilitation: a framework of research priorities in HIV, disability and rehabilitation. BMC Infectious Diseases 14, 724.
- Merritt, B.K., & Gahagan, J. Kottorp, A. (2013). HIV and disability: A pilot study exploring the use of the Assessment of Motor and Process Skills (AMPS) to measure daily life performance. Journal of the International AIDS Society, 16, 1-8.
- MacKenzie, Ds. & Merritt, B.K. (2012). Making Space - Integrating meaningful interprofessional experiences into an existing curriculum. Journal of Interprofessional Care, [Epub ahead of print]
- Merritt, B.K., Blake, A.I., McIntyre, A.H., & Packer, T.L. (2012). Curriculum Evaluation: Linking Curriculum Objectives to the Essential Competencies. The Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 79,175-180.
- Reid, L., MacLeod, A., Byers, D., Delva, D., Fedak, T., Mann, K., Marrie, T., Merritt, B., & Simpson, C. (2012). Dalhousie’s curriculum renewal process: Deliberative curriculum inquiry for integration. Medical Teacher, 34, e785-e793.
- Murray, E., Numer, M., Merritt, B. Gahagan, J. & Comber, S. (2012). Healthy-Aging Among LGBT Seniors in Nova Scotia: A Review of the Literature. The International Journal of Health, Wellness and Society, 1. 179-192.
- Merritt, B. K. (2011). Validity of using the Assessment of Motor and Process Skills to determine the need for assistance. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65, 643–650.
- Merritt, B. K. (2010). Utilizing AMPS ability measures to predict level of community dependence. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 17, 70-76. [peer reviewed invited submission]
- McFadden, S., MacDonald, A., Fogarty, A., Le, S., & Merritt, B.K. (2010). Vocational Assessment: A Review of the Literature from an Occupation-based Perspective. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 17, 43-48. [peer reviewed invited submission]
- Moore, K., Merritt, B. K., & Doble, S. E. (2010). ADL skill profiles across three psychiatric diagnoses. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 17, 77-85. [peer reviewed invited submission]
- Anderson, R., Doble, S., Merritt, B.K., & Kottorp, A. (2010). The Stability of Assessment of Awareness of Disability (AAD) Measures among persons with Acquired Brain Injury (ABI). Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 77, 22-29.
Selected awards and honours
- 2013 - Faculty of Health Professions Teaching Excellence Award
- 2009 - Class of 2001 Faculty/Staff Recognition Award
- Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists Academic
- Nova Scotia Society of Occupational Therapists
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists
- Canadian Working Group on HIV and Rehabiliation
Service & activity
- Member of Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists Academic Credentialing Council
- Member HIV and Aging National Coordinating Committee
- Co-Chair Post-Secondary Students with Episodic Disabilities Advisory Committee, with Canadian Working Group on HIV and Rehabilitation
- Working Together Across Canada: HIV & Older Adults Advisory Committee (CWGHR)