Helpful Tips


Outlook for the 2021–22 academic year

Please note that the information on this page is subject to change due to the COVID-19 pandemic and will be updated as new details become available. Click here to get the latest updates about how Dalhousie is operating this year.

The basics

Making a budget

It's a good idea to create a budget for managing your money while you're in university. You'll need a plan to finance your tuition, but you also have to factor in additional expenses, including costs for books and supplies, insurance, travel, phone, food, personal items, etc.

Dal has put together a few budgeting tips for students and also has a very useful online budget tool. (Start with the fee calculator and click help me create a budget based on this estimate.)

The entire Money Matters website has a lot of great financial information about budgeting, cash flow, and funding sources like bursaries and scholarships.

Eating on campus

Meal plans are available to both on- and off-campus students. Dining halls are located in Howe Hall, Shirreff Hall, Risley Hall, and O'Brien Hall.

Residence students select their meal plans as part of their room acceptance process.

Off-campus students can purchase their meal plan online.

All meal plans include Food Bucks loaded on your DalCard, which can be used at many on and off-campus vendor locations. In addition, the university's food service partner has a variety of retail food outlets across campus.

For more details about on-campus dining options, visit the Campus Dish Website, call 902-494-2078, or email

Familiarize yourself with campus buildings

To familiarize yourself with all of the buildings on your campus, visit the Campus Maps page. 

Distance from Studley to Sexton: It takes approximately 15-20 minutes to walk from the Student Union Building on Studley Campus to the Ralph M. Medjuck Building on Sexton Campus. 

You can also book a tour of any campus at any time.

Accessing services on campus

As a Dal student you have access to a wide range of services from academic advising and gym facilities to career advising and health services, and everything in between. To learn more about student services, drop by or call the Student Services office on your campus.

Agricultural Campus
Dairy Building, 11 River Road
Phone: 902-893-6672
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Studley Campus*
Services on Studley Campus are located in different buildings across campus. Visit the desired service page for specific location and hours. 

Sexton Campus*
Main Entrance, B Building
Phone: 902-494-6047
Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

*As a Dal student in Halifax, you have access to services at both Studley and Sexton campuses. Whether you live closer to one or just happen to be in the area, drop by or make an appointment.

Authorizing third parties access to your financial information

Account information is private and confidential, however, students can authorize a third party (i.e. parents or sponsors) to discuss your account in detail with our service representatives. Please send a written request, (accepted only from your Dalhousie email account), to which includes your name, BOO# as well as the names and relationships to you. 

Note: You are still responsible to review your account and ensure payments are made. 

Practicing your faith on campus

The Dalhousie Multifaith Centre has put together a list of places of worship in Halifax. Their list of churches, synagogues, mosques, and other places of worship are on or near the Dalhousie campuses. 

Connecting to Wi-Fi

Dalhousie offers wireless Internet on all of our campuses. To provide full service, we've set up wireless zones in all public areas, and you can use any type of wireless device to access the network. You just need your NetID. For more information about setting up wireless, visit the Dal Wireless Access page.

If you're living in residence, specific wireless network information will be provided on move-in day.

Parking on campus

Dalhousie offers a variety of permit types that allow people at Dal to park on campus throughout the year.

Off-campus students require a general or reserved parking permit, which allows you to park on campus daily between 7:30 a.m. and 1:30 a.m.

Only on campus for an hour or two? There are metered and short-term parking spots on the neighbouring streets.

Residence students require an overnight parking permit, which allows you to park all day. (But trust us, you don't need a car if you're living on campus.)

To purchase your parking permit online, you'll need your NetID, password, and vehicle information. To purchase your parking permit in person, visit the Securities Services Office, located on the parking level of the Marion McCain Building at 6135 University Ave.

For parking information for Dalhousie's Truro Campus, contact Security Services at 902-893-4190 or

Transportation in Halifax

By Bus

Many amenities are within walking distance of campus, but you can also take taxis or Halifax Transit. Luckily, your DalCard also acts as your UPass which gets you on the city buses and ferries. Halifax Transit has partnered with Google Transit so that newcomers can figure out what bus to take, from where and when. There are also several smart phone apps you can use including: Transit 360 and the Transit App

And don't forget: your UPass also gets you on the harbour ferries! Take a trip to Dartmouth or just go on a 15-minute sightseeing tour!

By Bike

The City of Halifax is working to expand the number of bike routes in Halifax. Visit their website to learn more about their Bike & Greenways Map, Bike Week, and on-street bike parking. 

Dalhousie also has an on-campus Bike Centre where you can learn about biking in Halifax, rent a bike (for free!), and learn more about maintenance and repair. 

Open a bank account

Below is a list of banks in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Visit their website to learn more about student banking.

Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank)

Canadian students
International students
Location: Halifax and Truro

Bank of Montreal (BMO)

Canadian students
International students
Location: Halifax and Truro

Canadian Imperial Bank of Canada (CIBC)

Canadian students
International students
Location: Halifax and Truro

Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)

Canadian students
International students
Location: Halifax and Truro

Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD)

Canadian students
International students
Location: Halifax and Truro

When choosing a bank, don't forget to ask about:

  • Unlimited banking versus charges after a number of transactions and/or fees associated with the account
  • Access to a credit card that is pre-approved and preferably unsecured (i.e. does not require monies deposited to the credit card)
  • Additional incentives e.g. points card for movies, etc.

ATMs on campus

The Dalhousie Student Union Building has three ATMs on its main floor: two RBC and one CIBC. Other ATMs are located around campus and charge a small fee for any card use. 

All major banks have locations within 15 minutes from all Halifax campuses.

Getting ready for the classroom

Important academic terms

You'll begin to hear new terms as you start your Dal experience. It's a good idea to make sure you know what they mean! Take some time to review these important academic terms on our register for courses website. 

Meet with a Student Success Advisor

Student Success Advisors can help you with a variety of tasks—from defining your career goals and choosing courses, to problem-solving if you're struggling with your course load or personal emergencies. 

Visit the Bissett Student Success Centre to learn more about the team, services, and booking an appointment.

Get your textbooks (new)

To find out what textbooks you need for your classes you can search by course code on the Dal Bookstore website or, on the first day of classes, your professor will include all required textbooks on the syllabus. 


The Dal Bookstore allows you to purchase new or used textbooks, or access a digital copy online when available. If you order your textbooks online, they'll be shipped to you directly.

If you're beginning your studies in September and in Residence, check out Books in Res to learn how you can order your textbooks and course supplies online so that you can avoid waiting in line and instead be busy enjoying orientation. Your books will be waiting for you in your dorm.

In person

There are Bookstores on both the Halifax and Truro Campuses. They even have extended store hours during peak weeks (the first weeks of classes). 

Students in Planning, Architecture or Engineering can order textbooks through the Enrolment Services Centre for pick-up the following business day. Please note that all Health Sciences books are now available at the main Bookstore in the Student Union Building. 

Get your textbooks (used)

The Dalhousie Bookstore carries used books purchased through the Book Buyback program. Used textbooks typically cost 25% less than new textbooks, are tax-free and are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. They are shelved alongside the new books with a sticker to indicate they’re used. Used textbooks can also be found along with new textbooks when you search and order textbooks online.

Find the perfect study spot

In addition to study desks and quiet spaces, each library at Dal has a Learning Commons. Check out the locations, types, and technology available (to print those assignments) on the Learning Commons site

Dal also offers tours of all its libraries. To request a tour, visit the Library Tours page for the appropriate contact information.

In addition to the libraries, there are study spots in different buildings around campus open to all students: 

  • International Centre, 1246 Lemarchant Street, Suite 1200
  • Student Union Building Atrium, 6136 University Avenue, First Floor
  • Lemarchant Place Atrium, 1246 Lemarchant Street, First Floor

Graduate Students

There is a Graduate Student Space located on the 4th floor of the Killam Memorial Library, accessible with the use of a valid DalCard. Learn more about the space.

Get Microsoft Office for free

Dalhousie’s association with Microsoft gives you access to Office 365 ProPlus for free!

What exactly does this mean?

As a Dal student you can download Office on up to five desktop or laptop computers. If you’re working on a PC you get all the Office 2013 apps: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Access, Publisher, Lync, and InfoPath. If you use an Apple computer, you get Office for Mac 2011: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.

How do I get it?

It’s incredibly easy to get your copy:

  1. Log in to using your NetID and password
  2. Click on the gear icon in the top right hand corner and choose "Office 365 Settings"
  3. Click "software" in the left-hand menu
  4. Click "desktop setup" in the left-hand menu
  5. Start your download!

You can also download Office Mobile on up to two mobile devices (Android and iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch) using the "phone & tablet" option under Software.

If you have any questions about your free copy of Office 365 ProPlus, or are having trouble installing it, please visit the ITS website.

Student Accessibility Services

Dal has a Student Accessibility Centre where a team of access advisors work with students who require accessibility and accomodation services. Contact the advisors as soon as possible to ensure your needs are addressed and met. 

Use the libraries

The Dalhousie University Libraries are here to support your academic success. We encourage all students to take advantage of the wide range of services available, whether you are at one of our physical locations or using the online resources.

And don’t forget: Your DalCard is also your library card!

For more information on what’s available to you at the Dalhousie Libraries, visit

Dal also offers tours of all its libraries so you can learn from the experts themselves. To request a tour, visit the Library Tours page

Keep an eye out for workshops

There are a number of services around campus that will help you transition from high school to university and ace your midterms, assignments, and finals.

Nervous about moving from a classroom to a lecture hall? Dal has a program called Studying for Success that will improve your note-taking, multiple choice strategies, time management skills, and more.

For workshops on mechanics of writing, in-class presentations, English as a second language (ESL) and more, visit the Seminars and Events page offered by the Writing Centre

You should also bookmark the library Online Tutorials page for tutorials that cover specific academic research tools and methods at the libraries. 

Professional development opportunities for graduate students

Visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies website to learn more about professional development opportunities including MyGradSkills, MITACS, and PREP. 

 Additional questions? Contact Academic Advising.

Residence students

Find out who your roommate is

If you and your roommate have both given the Residence Office permission to release your name and email address, you'll be able to contact each other when you receive your room assignment. 

To learn more about room assignments, visit the Residence website.

Your new address

While living in residence at Dal, your family and friends may want to send you packages. The correct way to write your address is:    

Halifax students:                          

Your name                               
Your room number                   
Res hall name                           
Res hall address   
PO Box 15000                          
Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 4R2

Truro students:

Your name
Your room number
Res hall name
Res hall address
PO Box 550
Truro, Nova Scotia, B2N 5E3

For a complete list of residence addresses, visit the Residence Contact Us page

Laundry on campus

Some laundry machines on campus will accept your DalCard, while others are still operated by coin. 

The following Halifax residences accept DalCard: 

  • Howe 
  • Gerard
  • Risley
  • Shirreff
  • LeMarchant
Other residences accept coins—each machine costs $1.50. 

Truro residence students pay a flat fee of $35/ semester for laundry. 

Books in Res

If you're beginning your studies in September, check out Books in Res to learn how you can order your textbooks and course supplies online through the Dal Bookstore and have them ready for you to pick up on move-in day. 

Moving in

When it comes close to move-in day, you'll find up-to-date information on check-in locations and procedures on the Residence website  —including maps, drop-off locations and parking instructions. 

What to bring to campus

If you're wondering if you can bring candles, extension cords, or your favourite pets to campus, you'll have to leave them at home. For a full list of what to bring and what to leave at home, check the Residence Office website

Travel plans

The final exam schedule will be posted in early October and early February. We recommend that you don't book any travel arrangements prior to knowing your exam schedule. 

Residence students: You're required to leave residence within 24 hours of completing your final exam. Students can apply for extensions under situational circumstances, however extensions are not guaranteed.

Shopping (food & essentials)

Visit our shopping in Halifax page for more information on shopping for groceries, essentials, course books, clothing, shoes & accessories. 

The Dal Bookstore also has a great selection of items for your residence room or apartment. 

Additional questions? Contact the Residence Office.

Off-campus students

Searching for housing

You can begin by going to the off-campus living website - particularly the listings section. There you will find a number of websites that allow you to search for housing in Halifax. 

We recommend:

1. Browsing through the listings and select at least 5 places.

2. Contact the landlord to let them know you are interested and the dates you are arriving in Halifax.

3. Try to set up a viewing. We recommend arriving a week or two before the semester starts and staying in temporary accommodations while you go apartment viewing to allow you to see the places in person. 

4. Once you are sure you like a place, payment goes directly to the landlord. You should speak to the landlord to find out what are the acceptable forms of payment (postdated cheques, direct deposit, etc). 


Renting terms & responsibilities

It can be very confusing to find housing and understand housing terms and responsibilities in Halifax, especially if you are a first-time renter or not from the area. The best way to help and protect yourself is to educate yourself. We advise the following: 

  • Look at places carefully before you move in. If you are not in Halifax, ask for pictures and the date they were taken. 
  • Learn what a lease is. 
  • Learn what a security deposit is. 
  • Before you move in, make sure you take note of any existing damages, otherwise you may be asked to pay for them when you move out. 
  • Learn what the full cost of the apartment is with utilities, laundry costs, etc. all added together. 
  • If you sign a full-year lease, move in to the apartment for a few months, and then decide to leave, you may be asked to pay for all the remaining months on your lease. Make sure you know what the consequences are for moving out early. 
  • If you plan to share apartments with other students, make sure you nclude all roommates' names on the lease, bill payments, etc. to ensure accountability and responsibility. 
For more information, visit the Off-campus living webpage

Moving resources

Whether you're moving to a new area in Halifax or to Halifax from another province or country, the Moving Resources page offers a list of storage companies, moving companies, supply companies, and second-hand furniture options.

Places to relax on campus

If you don't have time to go home between clases, no worries! There are some great places for you to relax and and recharge at Dal. Check out the DSU Wellness Room, where there are giant bean bags for your to lounge in, and also free yoga and meditation classes! There are also the Quiet Rooms on campus where you can go to reflect, pray, or just take a break from your hectic day. 

Set up Internet (off-campus)

If you live in residence, you will have access to high-speed Internet, which includes both ethernet and wireless connected. 

If you live off campus, Internet providers in Nova Scotia to consider include: 

See our Helpful Tips to learn how to connect to Wi-Fi on campus.

Shopping (food & essentials)

Visit our shopping in Halifax page for more information on shopping for groceries, essentials, course books, clothing, shoes & accessories. 

The Dal Bookstore also has a great selection of items for your residence room or apartment. Check out their Home and Dorm Essentials section.

International Students

Moving into residence

International students can move into residences early before their orientation. Contact the International Centre for information on move-in dates. 

Shopping (food & essentials)

Visit our shopping in Halifax page for more information on shopping for groceries, essentials, course books, clothing, shoes & accessories. 

The Dal Bookstore also has a great selection of items for your residence room or apartment. If you're beginning your studies in September and in residence, check out Dorm Essentials to learn how you can order items online have them ready for you to pick up on move-in day.

Canadian holidays

There are a number of public holidays observed in Canada:

New Year's Day January 1
George Munro Day (Dal only) First Friday of February
Nova Scotia Heritage Day Third Monday in February
Good Friday Two days before Easter Sunday
Easter Monday The day after Easter Sunday
Victoria Day First Monday following May 25
Canada Day July 1
Natal Day in Nova Scotia First Monday in August
Labour Day First Monday in September
Thanksgiving Day Second Monday of October
Remembrance Day November 11
Christmas Day December 25
Boxing Day December 26 

Getting a Social Insurance Number (SIN) (card to work in Canada)

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that is required to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.

You must apply for a SIN through Service Canada: Halifax or Truro

To apply for a SIN, you will need: 

  • a study permit that indicates the permit holder “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada; OR
  • a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by CIC

If neither of these requirements is met, you may contact CIC to verify if you are eligible to apply for an amended study permit or make an appointment with the International Student Advisor. 

More information can be found on the International Centre website.

Getting a driver's license in Nova Scotia

As an international student, you can apply for a Nova Scotia driver’s license. You will be required to pass a written test and a road test before receiving your driver’s license. It is also mandatory to hold an insurance policy on the vehicle you are driving. 

Reminder: We drive on the right-hand side of the road. 


  • The use of seat belts is mandatory for all car passengers. 
  • It is against the law in Nova Scotia to use a hand-held cellular phone, or text messaging device, while driving. Under this law, you may only drive and talk on a mobile phone by using the hands- free function. 

Getting a Nova Scotia Identity Card (NSID)

We recommend applying for a Nova Scotia Identity Card (NSID) when you arrive in Halifax so that you do not have to carry around your passport to prove your age and identity. 

You can get your Nova Scotia ID card at Access Nova Scotia. The closest one to Dal's Halifax campuses is located in Bayers Lake Business Park. It will take approximately 45 minutes to get there by bus.

Don't forget to bring: your passport, study permit, AND DalCard (student ID). 

Get a cell phone

Cell phone plans can vary amongst providers.  It is a good idea for you to explore your options before signing a contract.  Here is a list of the main cell phone companies.

Tips for choosing a cell phone provider

  • Ask about extra charges
  • Find out the cost of cancelling your plan 
  • Ask about the benefits and the downsides of contacts versus pay-as-you-go options

Setting up your cell phone

Visit your chosen cellphone service provider and present:

  • Photo Identification - either a Passport or Driver’s License
  • Second piece of identification - either a credit card, Social Insurance Number card, or bank cheque

Note to American citizens and permanent residents of the USA:

Verizon Wireless and AT&T provide a nationwide plus Canada plan that makes it easy to call home and anywhere in Canada (and the US) at no extra charge, eliminating long distance charges and the need for calling cards. Visit the Verizon wireless website ( or AT&T website ( for more details.

Additional things to pack

We highly recommend the following items:


Why this is important


  • You will need this to travel between airports.  It also holds your Temporary Resident Visa (if you are a citizen of a country who needs a visa to enter Canada)

Study Permit Approval letter

  • This letter should have been issued prior to your arrival. 
  • You must show this letter to immigration authorities at the first Canadian airport you land in.  They will take the letter and give you an official study permit in return. 
  • This study permit should authorize you to work off-campus for 20 hours a week. 

Government Identification (ID)

  • In Canada you will often be asked to show government ID (to get a cell phone, set up a bank account, etc). 
  • Bring along a driver’s license, voter registration card, social security card, or any other document that includes your photo and birthdate. 
  • If you have one, bring a driver’s license from your home country if you plan to drive in Canada.  Once you arrive you can have it translated OR you can use an official translation service in your home country.  This will facilitate your transfer to a Canadian license.  It will save you money.
  • Make sure the ID is valid (hasn’t expired)!

Original Police Report

  • In order to work in certain areas, attend conferences and participate in special research projects you will be asked to provide security clearance. 
  • Security clearance is a document from the police department of your country that states whether or not you have been arrested or charged.  This document is often referred to as a police report. 
  • We highly recommend that you apply for a police report and bring it with you to Canada, so that you can easily provide this report whenever you need to. It can be very difficult to get this report if you are already in Canada.

A waterproof winter coat

  • In Halifax, snow can melt into water very easily so we recommend a winter coat that is warm on the inside and waterproof on the outside. 


  • During winter, Halifax gets a mix of snow and rain so a raincoat is just as important as a winter coat. 
  • We do not recommend umbrellas because Halifax is very windy.

Original Education Qualifications (degrees, diplomas, certificates, etc) and if you are married a marriage/wedding certificate.

  • You may be asked to show your qualifications for jobs, or more study opportunities, so it is a good idea to bring these documents with you.
  • Bring every degree you have obtained since secondary (high) school! 
  • If your document is written in a language besides French or English, you will need to have it translated. It is cheaper to get an official translation in your home country than Canada. Translations in Canada roughly start at $70 CAD per page. 

Medical Files (books, cards, any document detailing your medical history)

  • You may be asked to show this if you need to see a doctor in Canada.

Dalhousie Admission letter

  • You will need this as it helps with setting up bank accounts, and purchasing cell phones and cell phone plans.

Cultural clothing

  • You may have to attend official receptions and dinner parties.  It is a good idea to wear traditional clothing from your home country.

Personal items that hold sentimental value

  • These will prevent you from being homesick and it’s always nice to bring a bit of home with you.

Clothing items

  • You are coming right at the start of winter so be sure to bring sweaters, long pants, and warm socks!  If these items are not available in your home country you can purchase them once you arrive in Canada (the Dal Bookstore has some great selections!). 
  • Do not attempt to bring jackets, bulky sweaters because it can cost a lot of money and may not be suitable for the winter specific to Halifax.

Food Spices

  • If there are particular spices you enjoy cooking with, you should bring them along.  Please ensure they comply with Canadian customs policies.

Cell/Mobile phone (unlocked)

  • It can save you money if you want to use a cell phone service while you are in Canada

Additional questions? Contact the International Centre.

Getting involved

Clubs and societies for everyone

The Dalhousie Student Union (DSU) has over 280 student societies. There really is something for everyone. Visit the DSU site to find out more about your student societies.

Intramural sports leagues

Intramural registration starts the first week of September and January and many leagues fill up fast. 

Registration is generally done as a team, with the exception of a few individual sports like tennis or badminton singles. If you’d like to join a team, contact your faculty or residence sport rep to join their team. Your faculty head office or residence council can provide you with your sport representative’s contact information.

You can also become a team captain and register your own team, or you can register as a 'free agent' at Dalplex and you may be picked up as a spare by an incomplete team.

Visit the athletics site for more information or email 

Volunteer in the community

It's never too early to begin building your resume and start differentiating yourself from your graduating class. 

Halifax students: You can get hands-on experience by registering with the DALConnects leadership certificate program. This program allows you to build your skills through a combination of leadership development workshops and events with community volunteering/work integrated learning. 

Truro students: Check out the Student Advancement In Leadership (SAIL) program where you will develop skills in areas such as career exploration, personal growth, communication and leadership development.

Don't forget to get your experience on record by creating your Co-Curricular Record (CCR). Your CCR complements your academic transcript by recording your experience and achievements outside the classroom. It's a great testament to your character for potential employers or professional schools.

Visit our Volunteering & Leadership page to learn more about the specific volunteer opportunities on campus. 

Attend the Society & Volunteer Expo

The Society and Volunteer Expo is a great way for you to get connected to local non-profits and find out all about the volunteer opportunities Halifax has to offer. It's also a great way to find out what Student Societies are active at Dal and how you can get involved on campus!

Attend events at Dal

There is always something fun and exciting happening on campus, and most of it is free for students! Visit our Student Events page to see all the upcoming events happening on campus. 

Join a sports club

Dal sport clubs are organized by Dal students and allow you to continue to participate in some of your favourite sports or activities once you come to campus. Or if you're feeling adventurous, you can try out a sport or activity for the first time.

Sport clubs are categorized as either:

Tier 1/Competitive clubs: football, rugby, field hockey, lacrosse, etc.

Tier 2/Recreational clubstable tennis, cheerleading, fencing, dance, squash, etc.

Dal After Dark

Dal After Dark is a student-run group that leads late night, alcohol-free, on-campus activities (and some other events off campus). They're fun, free/low cost, and take place on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It's a great opportunity to socialize, make new friends, and be active. 

Schedules will be posted on the Dal After Dark page weekly. Make sure you bookmark the page so you can check back for new activities. 

Get a job

Whether it's to pay for tuition or just to have some spending money while you're on campus, getting a job is something you might be considering. Check out the Working While Studying page for more information on opportunities and recommendations. 

You should also check out the Bissett Student Success Centre where you'll find valuable information and job resources. 

Two popular sources on campus for part-time jobs are the Dalhousie Student Union and Athletics & Recreation.

Truro Students: Drop by the Career Advising Centre on the Lower Level of the Dairy Building for information on career planning, agricultural specific information, job search techniques, and more. 

International students: Depending on your type of study permit, you may not need an additional work permit to work on or off campus. Find out more information about working in Canada on the International Centre website.

Taking care of yourself

Your gym membership is already paid for

Your full-time Dalhousie student fees include access to our fitness facilities.

In Halifax, Dalplex is Dal's main fitness and rec facility. It offers free equipment rentals and certain group fitness classes, and significantly discounted rates on classes like yoga, pilates, and kickboxing, climbing programs, first aid classes, and more.  

Your Dalplex membership gives you access to:

  • Group fitness classes 
  • Cardio & weight rooms 
  • Indoor pool (8-lane, 50-metre)
  • Indoor track (1/6 mile)
  • Climbing facilities
  • Hardwood basketball courts
  • Badminton, squash, and racquetball courts
  • Outdoor turf
  • Outdoor tennis and beach volleyball courts

Also in Halifax is the Sexton Gym, a smaller facility on Sexton Campus, which includes a main gymnasium, fitness centre with cardio and strength training equipment and weights, stretching room, a selection of group fitness classes, and two squash courts.

On the Agricultural Campus, the Langille Athletic Centre offers a cardio room, weight room, double gymnasium, and racquetball and squash courts.

Booking a dental appointment

Dalhousie Faculty of Dentistry operates several state-of-the-art dental clinics with reduced costs to Dal students. For more information or to make an appointment, call 902-494-3868 or email

Mental health on campus

Dal Thrive is a university-wide mental wellness initiative aimed at building a positive mental health environment for students. faculty and  staff. There are in person services and supports, online resources, and workshops to help you foster and maintain your mental health. 

Meet with our social worker

Our on-campus social worker supports Dalhousie and King's students who are having challenges with:

  • Dealing with stress - school, work, life, relationships, roommates and family
  • Mental health concerns and well-being
  • Relationship issues
  • Immediate crisis situations
  • Practical issues with housing, finances, and food

Students can make an appointment through the Student Health & Wellness Centre or come by during drop-in hours.

Explore your beliefs and faith

Drop by Multifaith Services if you're looking for a place to worship on campus, somewhere quiet to study, or someone to listen when you need a person to talk to. They have chaplains from various faith traditions offering confidential support on personal and spiritual issues, and provide opportunities for prayer and worship, retreats, workshops, lectures, and social activities. 

Find a fitness class

To help you develop and maintain a healthy and active lifestyle, Dalplex has a wide variety of classes, programs and lessons available. From free drop-in group classes to fee-based ones there's something for everyone. Fitness classes are also available at the Sexton Gym and the Langille Athletic Centre.

You can book a free tour of Dalplex

Going to the gym can be intimidating. Especially if you don't know where to go or what to do. Why not go on a free facility tour?

Call 902-494-3372 or email to book your appointment.

Booking a doctor's appointment

The Student Health & Wellness Centre has doctors and nurses, as well as a variety of health care services right on campus, including:

  • Prescriptions
  • Medical exams and consultations
  • Immunizations
  • Sexual health
  • Mental health
  • STI and pregnancy testing
  • Flu shots
  • Contraception
  • Sports medicine

Book an appointment online and visit Student Health Services, located on the 2nd floor of LeMarchant Place (1246 LeMarchant St.), or call 902-494-2171.

Truro Campus: Health Services is located in the Dairy Building, next to Cumming Hall. Visit the Health Services webpage for more information on hours and appointments, or call 902-893-6300 or 902-893-6369.

Nighttime safety

Whether you have a late class or are taking advantage of extended library hours, we want to ensure you get home safe. The DalSAFE mobile app has "Friend Walk", a virtual walk-home option that enables a friend or Dal Security staff member to monitor your route. 

Are you an Agricultural Campus student? The SAFEWalk service is there to help you get home within campus boundaries. 

For quick and easy access to Friend Walk, SAFEwalk, security services, interactive maps, parking info, campus notices and more, download the free DalSAFE mobile app.

Know your rights and responsibilities

Dalhousie has a number of policies and supports on campus to ensure that your rights and responsibilities are met and supported throughout your university experience. From appealing grades, to hazing, to issues with consent, to problems with your landlord, Dal can support you. 

For more information, visit the Student Rights & Responsibilities site. Here you can also learn more about the Human Rights, Equity and Harassment Office and Student Dispute Resolution Office.

Ask a nurse your general health questions

Do you have a question about sex, drinking, stress, or your health in general? Too shy or too busy to ask in-person? Ask a Nurse! Trust us, if you have a question, so do other students.

Book an appointment online to come and chat face-to-face with one of our nurses at the Student Health and Wellness Centre!

Connect with a LGBTQ2SIA+ peer ally

There are many groups on campus that provide LGTTQ2SIA+ support on campus, including:

You can contact any of these groups directly, or make an appointment with the education advisor in Human Rights & Equity Services by emailing

Visit the DSU Wellness Room

Need a quiet spot to escape the daily hustle and bustle? The DSU Wellness Room has all the fittings you need for a nap, meditation, prayer, yoga, or curling up with a good book: comfy chairs, dividers, cushions, pillows, blankets, and dim light. 

The Dalhousie Student Union and Student Health and Wellness partner to fill the Wellness Room with great health events, including meditation and yoga. 



Dal's social media

Are you on social media? We are too! Check out our Social Media Directory for a list of official Dal accounts.

Sustainability on campus

At Dal, we're conscious of being sustainable, just like you. Our Office of Sustainability is always working on supporting solutions that create positive social, ecological and economic change. Visit the website to learn more about sustainability at Dal and how you can get involved