Parking at Dalhousie
PLEASE NOTE *** Purchase of a general permit does not guarantee a spot. We sell more general permits than we have spots to allow for people who come and go from campus throughout the day. Refunds are available for general parking permits within 30 days of purchase.
Passes are on sale August 20, 2020 ONLY ONLINE. To qualify for a parking permit, an applicant must be a Dalhousie University employee or student with a valid Dalhousie ID.
Buy your permit here.
General and Reserved Parking Notice: Update
The following is an update on reserved and general parking permits for 2020-2021:
Given the situation with the pandemic, there are some considerations for reserved parking passes for the upcoming year.
- Reserved parking pass renewals are typically sold at full price regardless of the renewal date. Given that the University will be primarily online this year, there will be an exception to the rule and the university will prorate the renewal amount. If you are not going to be on campus at all, we will hold your reserved parking permit for a year.
- General Parking passes –renewals/purchase sold at a full fixed rate and will not be prorated. Other options: Fall/Winter/Summer Term permit are also available.
- Parking rates for 2020-2021
- Permits are still required for parking on campus, therefore Security Services will strictly enforce ticketing/booting of vehicles that have no permit. The university provides short term parking where parking meters and pay and display are available. The annual parking permit is also available for purchase as an alternative if you do not wish to renew your reserved permit this year, which is valid only on general parking spaces.
- Anyone who is on the waitlist will be contacted in sequence by the Security Office, for a short term benefit if they are interested. Declining the offer will not affect their ranking on the list.
Parking passes went on sale beginning Thursday August 20 2020, reserved parking permits may be purchased/renewed at https://parkingpermit.dal.ca/ Net ID and password are required.
Your permanent permit tag will be available for pick up at the Security Office at 1252 LeMarchant Street starting September 2nd, 2020 from 9am to noon, Monday to Friday. Please print and use the confirmation page, placed on the dash of your car until you pick up the permit. Please bring your Dalhousie ID card for verification when picking up the permit.
*For the safety of our community, we are limiting the number of people inside at our office site. Therefore, expect delays when picking up your parking permit. Aligned with the Province of Nova Scotia’s directive, Dalhousie University is requiring the use of non-medical masks or face coverings in most indoor common areas on our campus or where social distancing is not possible, effective July 31, 2020. For more information please refer to the University’s July 29th, 2020 COVID-19 update.
- If you need your password reset, please visit https://password.dal.ca/
- Parking FAQ - please refer to this page that provides frequently asked questions and answers: https://www.dal.ca/dept/facilities/parking-at-dal/permits---parking/ParkingFAQs.html
In order to park legally on University property (Halifax or Agricultural Campus), vehicles must either display a valid permit, use a parking meter or show proof of pay and display where applicable.
Stay informed about any disruptions, construction or changes to parking by following @DalSecurity on Twitter or reading Today@Dal every day. To subscribe, go here.
Dalhousie's Halifax Campuses offer a number of parking options:
- Permit parking
- Visitor and short term pay & display parking
- Motorcyle Parking
- Electric Vehicle Parking
- Bicycle Parking
- Evening Parking Map (Studley Campus)
- 2020-21 Rates (Passes on sale August 20, 2020)
- Parking FAQs
Parking is FREE in Truro at the Agricultural Campus but you must have a permit which you can get at the Dal Security Office Security Services at the Dairy Building, 11 Sipu Awti.
*Note - as of March 1, 2016, Dalhousie no longer owns the parking lot behind Fenwick Tower on South Street. Anyone parking there with a Dal parking pass will be ticketed and/or towed/booted.
Short Term Parking on the Halifax Campus
Coming to Dal for a meeting, one class or just one day? Head to the LeMarchant Place parking lot on South Street, Studley Campus (number 16 on the map below). The cost is $2 per hour or $18 per day. Parking is free in this lots in all non-reserved spots from 4:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m. No overnight parking from 1:30 to 7:00 a.m.
(Click for larger image)
(Click for larger image)
Studley Campus Evening Parking
Parking is free at all Dalhousie General Permit lots between 4:30 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. Parking is also free in the same lots on weekends from 7 a.m. until 1:30 a.m. There is no overnight parking in any of our lots.
Displaying your permit
Permit holders must display a valid permit at all times. Failure to display a valid permit will result in a parking ticket and the vehicle may be towed or immobilized at the owner’s expense