Make an Appointment
Health Services offers students a variety of different ways to make an appointment. Choose the way that works best for you.
Choose the best fit for you
I need immediate medical advice and Health Services is closed
Call 811 to reach a Registered Nurse 24 hours a day for any health questions/concerns.
FOR NON-EMERGENCY MEDICAL ATTENTION: Visit Truro Walk-in Clinic
Location: Fundy Trail Mall/Sobeys, Robie Street
Drop in or phone for appointment: 902-893-3635
- Monday - Friday: 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Saturday, Sunday 11:30 am - 5:00 p.m.
- Closed during Holidays
Bring your provincial health card with you; without a valid health card ,you'll be charged $35 (Canadian residents) or $125 (out of country residents). A receipt will be provided.
FOR EMERGENCY SITUATIONS: Dial 911
- For immediate/life threatening health emergencies requiring an ambulance
FOR EMERGENCY & TIME SENSITIVE HEALTH CONCERNS: Visit the hospital Emergency Department
Location: Colchester East Hants Health Centre, 600 Abenaki Road (open 24 hours)
I need to see a doctor (and it is time sensitive/life threatening emergency)
- Call 911, or go to the Emergency Department, Colchester East Hants Health Centre, 600 Abenaki Road
- Examples of when to go to the Emergency Department: severe and/or life threatening injuries,alcohol poisoning, severe asthma attack, head trauma, severe cuts or lacerations,severe burns, unresponsive, diabetic emergencies
- Poison Control: 1-800-565-8161
I am an international student
As an international student, you make the same type of appointment that a Canadian student would make.
If you are unsure where to go for medical assistance, please call or visit Health Services first. We can assess your need and redirect, if necessary, to other healthcare providers. We can help facilitate access to other healthcare providers
Please note that Emergency Room visits are for emergency care ( time sensitive/life threatening) . If you present to the emergency department for care and and you do not require emergency care, you may have a very long wait time before being assessed.
Physician Appointment Information
- A campus physician is available by appointment on Monday mornings from 8:30am-12:30pm.
- Physician appointments can be booked by contacting Health Services.
All physician appointments require a 24-hour cancellation notice. If we are not notified, you will be charged $35 to your student account. Please be considerate of others who require appointments. For psychiatry and psychological services, missed appointments will result in a $100-$150 charge.
What should I bring to my Health Services physician appointment?
- a valid student ID card
- a valid provincial health card or alternate health care coverage information
- International students must complete a health insurance form during their first visit (those with DSU health insurance coverage physician will be direct billed/those with alternate insurance will be charged $35 per visit). Please be aware ahead of your visit what insurance coverage you have while here in Canada.