Employment Equity Council
The Employment Equity Council is responsible for working through, and with, HRES to provide advice on the strategic planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of this Policy and Dalhousie’s Employment Equity Plan.
The Council shall include the following voting members:
- Chair, to be selected from among the membership for a two to three year term
- Ex-officio representatives (5):
i. University Advisor & Assistant Vice-President, Equity & Inclusion,
ii. Assistant Vice-President, Human Resources (or designate),
iii. Provost & Vice-President Academic (or designate),
iv. Vice-Provost, Student Affairs (or designate), and
v. President of the Dalhousie Student Union (or designate);
- Employee group representatives (6):
i. Dalhousie Faculty Association (DFA),
ii. Dalhousie Professional Management Group (DPMG),
iii. Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), Local 3912,
iv. Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU), Local 77 (3 year term),
v. Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU), Local 99 (3 year term), and
vi. Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC), Local 86001;
- Equity-Seeking group representatives:
i. Indigenous Mi’kmaq employee representative (1),
ii. Historic African Nova Scotian employee representative (1),
iii. Sexual Orientation and/or Gender Identity (SOGI) minority employee representative (1),
iv. Dis/Abilities employee representative (1), and
v. Employee representative from any other Equity-Seeking Group approved by the Employment Equity Council.
The Council shall:
- Receive and evaluate the inventories of designated and Equity-Seeking Group members employed at Dalhousie and the external workforce data compiled, collected and analyzed by the Equity Data Analyst in the Human Rights & Equity Services.
- Provide consultation to the UA/AVP, Equity & Inclusion in the Human Rights & Equity Services who will determine and propose to the President and Provost measurable indicators of employment equity success (e.g., goals and timelines).
- Receive periodic updates on progress regarding the implementation of its goals and timelines from the UA/AVP, Equity & Inclusion.
- Provide consultation to the UA/AVP, Equity & Inclusion, who will devise and recommend outreach, recruitment, hiring, training and development, career progression, promotion and tenure, and retention strategies for members of Equity-Seeking Groups.
- Receive, from the UA/AVP, Equity & Inclusion, regular reports on any information relevant to employment equity at Dalhousie, for discussion.
- Provide consultation to the UA/AVP, Equity & Inclusion, who will recommend to the President and Provost, and other levels of administration, strategies for improving Dalhousie's performance in achieving employment equity goals.
- Support the UA/AVP, Equity & Inclusion, to develop annual progress reports on employment equity goals to be submitted to the Provost and Vice President, Academic and made available to the President, Board of Governors, Senate and the Dalhousie community, including Equity-Seeking Groups.