The HRES Education Advisor is a specialist resource with expertise in respect and inclusion mandated to oversee the coordination and delivery of events and initiatives related to educational programming for all areas of work covered by the Office of Human Rights and Equity Services. The Education Advisor serves a lead role in training and program development and works closely with the Advisors, Peer Educators, Center for Learning and Teaching, Human Resources, and other internal and external stakeholders.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Oversee the coordination of comprehensive education and outreach initiatives including campaigns, events, and educational tools for students, staff, and faculty;
- Coordinate and promote a variety of university wide events such as: 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Based Violence, African Heritage Month, Pride, etc;
- Support the administration and educational implementation of policies within the jurisdiction of HRES;
- Provide educational and remedial resolutions, supports, and planning for members of the university community;
- Support in promotion and development of the office’s profile;
The Peer Educators are a team of vibrant students that promote a culture of respect and a healthy university experience! The team undergoes extensive training and are supervised by the Education Advisor. Our diverse team includes students who represent various academic programs and cultural backgrounds.
The Role of the Peer Educators
- Develop and deliver educational workshops on topics related to: diversity, inclusion, and sexual violence.
- Aid in developing new approaches and strategies to educate the university community.
- Engage and encourage students in building a safe and respectful campus community for all.
- Facilitate workshops for diverse groups
- Offer referrals to other services available on and off campus.
- Participate in the development of HRES Education materials
- Attend awareness-raising activities
- Hold social media campaigns to promote the services and programs
The Education team is made up of 2 Content Developers that report to the Education Advisor. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: Researching and creating content for different groups on topics related to Equity, Consent, Sexualized Violence, Micro-aggressions, Inclusion, Anti-Discrimination and Harassment; Attend bi-weekly team meetings to debrief and for continued development opportunities; Work with the Peer Educator team as needed; Attend Education Team training in September; Aid in the development of print and online resources and materials; Help facilitate the creation of more online modules; Facilitation of social media content; Develop content for the website; Ensure the adoption of tools and promising practices appropriate to needs; liaise with individuals, campus and community groups, and other entities of interest to the HRES mandate; Complete reports and database related documentation.