The MLIS degree is a 2 year course of study for full-time students. A total of 16 half-credit courses (48 credit hours) and the non-credit Practicum are needed to complete the degree
- Full-time status: a minimum of 3 half-credit courses in a single term is considered full-time status. Typically, full-time MLIS students take 4 half-credit courses in both the fall and winter terms.
- Part-time status: less than 3 half-credit courses in a single term is considered part-time status. Students taking the degree part-time have 7 years to complete the degree.
The MLIS Program is designed for fall admission. Applicants who transfer from another Library & Information Studies (LIS) program, or who possess considerable experience in the field may request consideration for a January admission. See MLIS Admissions for further details.
Faculty maintain generous office hours giving you the opportunity to get to know your professors and, in turn, allow them to get to know you. Each student is assigned an academic advisor to guide you through your studies and toward your career goals. Contact the MLIS Program Coordinator, Janet Music (email@example.com), for further information.
Plan of Study
|MGMT 5000||Management Without Borders (capstone)|
|INFO 0590.00||Practicum (required, non-credit)|
|INFO 5500||Information in Society|
|INFO 5515||Organization of Information|
|INFO 5520||Research Methods|
|INFO 5530||Information Sources, Services & Retrieval|
|INFO 5570||Organizational Management & Strategy|
|INFO 5590||Information Management Systems|
|INFO 6540||Data Management|
|Advanced technology requirement (choose one of the options below):|
|INFO 6270||Introduction to Data Science|
|INFO 6513||Business Analytics & Data Visualization|
|INFO 6620||Web Design & Architecture|
|INFO 6681||Geospatial Information Management|
|INFO 6840||Content Management Systems|
|Seven MLIS electives|
- Not all courses are offered every year. It is the students' responsibility to ensure they plan their schedule accordingly.
- View MLIS course descriptions and syllabi.
- MGMT 5000: To be taken in the final year of the MLIS degree.
- INFO 5570: To be taken in the final year of the MLIS degree.
- Students may take electives outside SIM