- B.Sc., University of Wales (1957)
- Ph.D., University of London (1961)
- Diploma of Imperial College, London (1961)
- Hall, J.M. & Yang, J.-S. (1995) Constructional features of Troodos type oceanic crust: Relationships between dike density, alteration, magnetization and ore-body distribution and their implications for in-situ oceanic crust. Journal of Geophysical Research, 100, 19973-19989.
- Hall, J.M., Walls, C.C. & Hall, S.L. (1995) Viscous magnetization at 300K in a profile through Troodos type oceanic crust. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 88, 101-116.
- Hall, J.M. & Yang, J.-S. (1994) A preferred environment of preservation of volcanic massive sulphide deposits in the Troodos ophiolite (Cyprus). Economic Geology, 89, 851-857.
- Hall, J.M. & Marshall, E. (1994) Iron-titanium oxides and their mineralogic transformations in metabasites from the pilot and deep holes of the German Continental Deep Drilling Program, K.T.B., Scientific Drilling, 4, 63-80.
- Hall, J.M.,1992. Interaction of submarine volcanic and high temperature hydrothermal activity proposed for the formation of the Agrokipia volcanic massive sulfied deposits of Cyprus. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 29, p.p. 1928-1936.
- Hall, J.M., Walls, C.C., Yang, J.-S., Hall, S.L. and Bakor, A.R., 1991. The magnetization of oceanic crust: contribution to knowledge from the Troodos Ophiolite. Canadian Journal of Earth Science, 28
- Hall, J.M., Walls, C.C. and Yang, J.-S., 1990. Constructional features of the Troodos ophiolite and implications for the distribution of ore bodies and the generation of ocean crust: Reply. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 27, 1139-1141.
- Professor, Earth Sciences, Dalhousie University
- Chair, Steering Commitee, CCDP
- Member, Coordinating Commitee on Continental Drilling
- Foreign Secretary, Candaian Geoscience Council
- Director, Centre for Marine Geology, Dalhousie University