A Unique Framework
Our online/blended program's optimal blend of theory, analysis and day-to-day practical learning gives you a unique framework to address the complex national and global issues that leaders and executives face today and in the future. This program is offered only on a part-time basis.
Building on your existing expertise, we will help you strengthen your ability to respond effectively to complex policy and management issues – and to think strategically in order to anticipate and plan for future challenges.
In 2018, Dalhousies MPA progams became the first in Canada to receive full accreditation from the Canadian Association of Programs in Public Administration.
Visit the CAPPA website to find out more.
Read the news release: Dalhousie MPA programs first to be accredited under CAPPA's new standards.
Courses are designed and delivered by internationally recognized academics and senior public service practitioners.
Flexible & Convenient
Dal's MPA M program is flexible and convenient. Take 90 percent of your coursework online, and gain valuable opportunities to develop lifelong relationships with other public and not-for-profit sector professionals during the classroom-based intensives held at the end of each course.
Master of Public Administration (Management)
Program at a Glance
- The Master of Public Administration (Management) is offered by Dalhousie University’s Faculty of Management.
- Our program partners include the Department of National Defence, the Institute of Public Administration of Canada, the Canada School of Public Service and the Canadian Association of Programs in Public Administration. These partnerships help ensure our program remains tailored not only to your needs but to those of the public and non-profit sectors
- Our current students work in organizations as diverse as the Canada Revenue Agency, Justice Canada, Veterans Affairs Canada, Natural Resources Canada, provincial governments – and a wide range of municipalities and education and health sector bodies
The application deadlines for our three (3) annual intakes are:
June 1 for the fall term
October 31 for the winter term
February 28 for the summer term
See our Important Dates page for more details.
Find out about upcoming information sessions in your area.
There are 13 courses in the MPA (M) program and fees are charged per course as you register. Each course costs $2,125 ($2000 Tuition, $125 Auxiliary Fee) There are no HST fees applied to courses.
Structure, duration and workload
- All 13 of our program’s classes are mandatory
- Each class consists of an online component and a mandatory onsite "intensive" (face-to-face) component, held primarily in Ottawa and Halifax, with other locations considered depending on course enrollment. Find out more about program delivery.
- Once you begin our program, you have up to seven years to complete it. Most of our students complete within three or four years
- As a very approximate guide, our students usually devote 12 to 15 hours a week to each class, depending on their qualifications and abilities
- Students choosing not to register for classes in the fall and winter terms must request a continuance from our Faculty of Management’s Centre for Advanced Management Education (CFAME) before the registration deadline. A small fee is charged.
Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
The Graduate Diploma in Public Administration (Management) is a 21 credit hour program that will strengthen the public policy and public management skills of working professionals in the public sector.
Providing graduate-level instruction and knowledge in public policy and managing human, financial and information resources, the program focuses on enhancinganalytical, critical thinking and strategic capabilities, providing a solid basis in theoretical frameworks and latest-wave thinking in public administration, while strengthening your managerial and leadership competencies. Recipients of the Graduate Diploma – MPA(M) may elect to continue studies in the master’s program.
- View the GDPA(M) course requirements.