I decided to come to Dal because I knew I wanted to focus my research on animal law and luckily there was a wonderful prof here who was willing to work with me.
What inspires me
Law is all about seeing multiple sides to the story. I’ve always enjoyed the problem-solving skills required in law because they fit nicely with the way I think. I am most interested in international trade law, public international law and animal law.
- BA (Queen’s)
- JD (Toronto)
- LLM (Harvard)
- LLM (Dalhousie)
- “Sealing Animal Welfare into the GATT Exceptions: The International Dimension of Animal Welfare in WTO Disputes,” World Trade Review (forthcoming).
- “Changing Environments: Tracking the Scientific, Socio-political, Legal, and Ethical Currents of the Grey Seal – Cod Debate in Atlantic Canada,” Journal of International Widlife Law & Policy (forthcoming, co-authored with Tsafrir Gazit and Damian Lidgard).
- “Don’t Think About Elephants: Reece v City of Edmonton”, Case Comment (2012) 63 UNBLJ 145 (co-authored with Vaughan Black)
- “‘And the People of the Province’: EGSPA’s Social Deficit” (2012) 35 Dal LJ (co-authored with Susan Tirone and Karen Gallant)
- “Nations Like Unto Yourselves: An Inquiry Into the Status of a General Principle of International Law Concerning International Welfare” (2011) 49 CYIL 3
- “Human Drama, Animal Trials: What the Medieval Animal Trials Can Teach Us About Justice for Animals” (2011) 17 Animal L 273
- “Bambi Meets Godzilla: Children's and Parents' Rights in Canadian Foundation for Children, Youth and the Law v. Canada” (2006) 51:1 McGill LJ 131
- “Towards a Public Justification of Copyright” (2003) 61 UT Fac L Rev 1
- “Patents and the Public Interest: The Cipro Controversy” (2002) 60 UT Fac L Rev 115
Awards, honours, conferences
- Sustainable Oceans Conference Dalhousie University, April 12-13, 2013: “The Debate Over Grey Seals and Atlantic Cod,” with Tsafrir Gazit and Damian Lidgard
- Fourth International “Fostering A Scholarly Network” Four Societies Conference Berkeley, California, September 27-29, 2012: “Hunger Games Without Frontiers: The Right to Food and State Obligations to Migrants”
- Canadian Council on International Law Annual Conference Ottawa, Ontario, November 4, 2011: “‘Nations Like Unto Yourselves’: Animal Protection, Cultural Diversity and International Law”
- Thinking About Animals Conference Brock University, Saint Catharines, Ontario, March 31, 2011: “Medieval Animal Trials and the Trouble with Animal Rights”