2018 Rhodes Application for 2019 Academic Year
A Rhodes scholarship is tenable at the University of Oxford. Election to the scholarship is normally for two years but the scholarship may be held for one year only, depending on the degree program pursued by the scholar. A scholarship may be renewed, at the complete discretion of the Trustees, for a third and final year for those who were initially admitted to Oxford to pursue a doctoral degree.
The Rhodes scholarship is open to undergraduate and graduate students in all Faculties. These scholarships cover fees, board, lodging, and travel expenses. Scholars may follow their own course of study. The 2018 Rhodes application process is for funding to support the 2019 academic year thus The Rhodes Scholarships memorandum (English and French) reads for 2019.
- Be a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident in Canada (students who are attending a Canadian university on a student visa are not eligible to apply).
- Be domiciled in Canada.
- Have reached your 19th birthday and not passed your 25th birthday at 01 October 2019; must have been born after September 30, 1994 and on or before October 1, 2000.
- Have completed or will have completed by June/July 2019, an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor's degree) to a sufficiently high standard (e.g. First Class Honours or Distinction) to be admitted to postgraduate study at the University of Oxford.
The Rhodes Trust focuses on four criteria which are used in the selection of Scholars:
- academic excellence (see Eligibility Criteria above)
- energy to use one's talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in your fellow human beings
How to Apply through Dalhousie University
The process for candidates has two parts: an internal screening process by Dalhousie University and an external application submitted to The Rhodes Trust online. (Please see side bar on the right for deadlines.)
- Candidates are to email the internal selection application documents (full curriculum vitae (should not exceed two A4 (12pt) pages-see Memoradum for full details), a personal statement and unofficial transcripts (i.e. Dalhousie University Academic Record is available on Dal Online) from all universities attended) directly to Katherine.Rudolph@dal.ca (preferably in one PDF document). Applications submitted through any other route will not be considered. If you have questions about the Dalhousie internal selection process, please contact Katherine.Rudolph@dal.ca.
- All candidates will be emailed about the status of their application during the Dalhousie internal screening process.
- Institutionally endorsed candidates will be provided the authorization code to submit the online application. The authorisation code is only available through the Office of the Associate Vice-President Academic.
- If you have questions about The Rhodes Scholarships for Canada, please contact the National Secretary for the Rhodes Scholarships in Canada: Richard Pan.