Sarah Fortune, Assistant Professor
Canadian Wildlife Federation Chair in Large Whale Conservation
Room 4664, LSC Ocean Wing, 1355 Oxford St PO Box 15000, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4R2Research Topics:
- Evolution and ecology
- Biological oceanography
- BAH – Queen’s University
- MSc – University of British Columbia
- PhD – University of British Columbia & Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (Guest Student)
- Sidrow, E., N. Heckman, S. Fortune, A. Trites, I. Murphy, and M. Auger-Méthé. 2021. Modelling multi-scale state-switching functional data with hidden Markov models. Canadian Journal of Statistics https://doi.org/10.1002/cjs.11673.
- Fortune, S., M. Moore, W. Perryman and A. Trites. 2021. Body growth of North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) revisited. Marine Mammal Science 37: 433-447.
- K. Gavrilchuck, V. Lesage, S. Fortune, A. Trites and S. Plourde. 2021. Foraging habitat for North Atlantic right whales has declined in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, Canada and is insufficient for successful reproduction. Endangered Species Research 44: 113-136.
- Fortune, S., S. Ferguson, A. Trites, J. Hudson, and M. Baumgartner. 2020. Bowhead whales use two foraging strategies to maximize consumption of zooplankton in Cumberland Sound, Nunavut. Scientific Reports 10: 20249.
- Fortune, S., B. Young and S. Ferguson. 2020. Age and sex-specific movement, behaviour and habitat use patterns of bowhead whales in the Eastern Canadian Arctic. Polar Biology 43: 1725-1744.
- Fortune, S., S. Ferguson, A. Trites, B. LeBlanc, W. LeMay, and M. Baumgartner. 2020. Seasonal and diel changes in bowhead whale feeding behaviour. Marine Ecology Progress Series 643: 197-217.
- Agbayani, S., S. Fortune, A. Trites. 2020. Growth and development of North Pacific grey whales (Eschrichtius robustus). Journal of Mammalogy 3: 742-754.
- Young, B., S. Fortune, W. Koski, S. Raverty, R. Kilabuk, and S. Ferguson. 2019. Observation of a bowhead whale carcass following a recent attack by killer whales in Cumberland Sound, Nunavut. Arctic Science 1:53-61.
- Fortune, S., W. Koski, J. Higdon, A. Trites, M. Baumgartner, and S. Ferguson 2017. Evidence of molting and the function of “rock-nosing” behavior in bowhead whales in the eastern Canadian Arctic. PLoS ONE 12 (11): e0186156.
- Reinhart, N., S. Fortune, P. Richard, and C. Matthews. 2014. Rare sightings of white-beaked dolphins (Lagenorhynchus albirostris) off southeastern Baffin Island, Canada. Marine Biodiversity Records 7:1-5.
- Fortune, S., A. Trites, C. Mayo, D. Rosen, and P. Hamilton. 2013. Energetic requirements of North Atlantic right whales and the implications for species recovery. Marine Ecology Progress Series 478:253-272.
- Fortune, S., A. Trites, W. Perryman, M. Moore, H. Pettis, and M. Lynn. 2012. Growth and rapid early development of North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis). Journal of Mammalogy 93:1342-1354.
- George, J., L. Horstmann, S. Fortune, T. Sformo, R. Elsner and E. Follman. 2021. Thermoregulation and Energetics. In The Bowhead Whale, edited by H. Thewissen. Elsevier Inc. pp 237-260.
- Fortune, S. and A. Trites. 2014. COSEWIC Status Report on North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) in Canada. Prepared for Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- 2020 W. Garfield Weston Postdoctoral Fellowship in Northern Research
- 2018 ArcticNet AGM Student Poster Award, Honorable Mention
- 2018 W. Garfield Weston Postdoctoral Fellowship in Northern Research (declined)
- 2018 Emily Gallagher Memorial Award Best Graduate Student Talk
- 2017 Dean Fisher Memorial Scholarship in Zoology
- 2016-2018 W. Garfield Weston Foundation PhD Award for Northern Research
- 2015 BRITE Travel Award (NSERC CREATE Training Program in Biodiversity Research)
- 2014 People’s Choice Best Poster at Canadian Fisheries Research Network AGM
- 2014 Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements Program (NSERC)
- 2013-2017 Faculty of Science Graduate Award, University of British Columbia
- 2013-2017 Four Year PhD Fellowships, UBC
- 2013-2016 Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship (NSERC CGSD)
- 2010 & 2011 Faculty of Science Graduate Award, University of British Columbia
- 2009 Ruth Hiebert Memorial Fellowship
- 2003 Queen’s Entrance Merit Award of Excellence