- Biological Oceanography
- BSc - Biology, Dalhousie
- PhD - Biological Oceanography, University of British Columbia
- Postdoctoral position - WHOI (USA)
- Postdoctoral position - Victoria University (New Zealand)
- Co-chair of GOOS (Global Ocean Observing System).
- Sits on the CIOOS Atlantic Regional Oversight Committee.
- Appointed Associate Vice-President Research (Ocean) of Dalhousie University and Scientific Director of Ocean Frontier Institute commencing Sept. 1, 2018.
- Previously served as Section Head of Polar Biological Oceanography at the Alfred Wegener Institute in Bremerhaven and as Professor of Oceanography in the Department of Biology at the University of Bremen.
- Sits on the boards of Canada’s Ocean Supercluster and The Marine Environmental Observation, Prediction and Response Network (MEOPAR).
- On the Editorial Board of the international journal Limnology and Oceanography, co-chair of the SCOR Working Group on biological observation systems, “P-OBS” and has been on the Steering Committee of the Southern Ocean Observation System (SOOS) since 2017.
- Current interests include nitrogen fluxes in polar oceans and particle dynamics in mesoscale eddies.
- Early work includes participation in the first Southern Ocean iron fertilization experiment, SOIREE.
- Dr. Waite’s work in the East Indian Ocean explored the dynamics of mesoscale eddies, the nitrogen cycle in oligotrophic systems and the biology of the spiny lobster larvae in Australian waters.
- Earlier commitments included the Board of Directors of the Antarctic Climate & Ecosystems Cooperative Research Centre ACE CRC in Hobart, Australia, the Norwegian Research Council Advisory Board, the Programme Advisory Group for the NERC Changing Arctic Ocean Research Programme, and the Board of Directors for the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography.
- 1997 - Professorship at the University of Western Australia in Perth, there for 17 years as a biological oceanographer.