MUSIC ‑ Undergraduate Application & Audition
Supplemental Application Form
Getting ready to audition
Audition repertoire (including guidelines for submission of composition portfolio)
The Application and Audition Process
Step 1: Apply to the University Registrar
a) If you are applying for undergraduate admission to Dalhousie or to King’s, submit a completed Undergraduate Application for Admission to the appropriate Registrar’s Office. This form may be downloaded and/or you can apply online. Dalhousie web page: http://dal.ca/admissions. King’s web page http://ukings.ca/admissions.
b) If you are applying to come to Dalhousie as an Exchange student, please visit http://dal.ca/exchange to learn more about the application process.
Step 2: Apply to Audition/Interview for the Fountain School
Supplemental Application Form: Whether you are applying to enter a music degree program, to visit Dalhousie on an exchange, or to take applied study as an elective, the supplemental form is required to request an audition/interview.
- The Supplemental Application Form is completed online* and submitted directly to the Fountain School. Please do NOT send this form to the Registrar as this may cause delays in scheduling your audition.
- We are unable to schedule an audition without receipt of this form.
Step 3: Audition
It is recommended that you audition in person. Video auditions will be accepted for instrumental/voice applicants who cannot travel. Your video must be received by March 10, 2023 to be considered for entrance scholarships. All testing must be completed by March 10, 2023 for scholarship consideration.
- Video files must be provided through web link to an online video sharing platform (YouTube or Vimeo).
- Additional testing is required - we will communicate directly with applicants re testing procedures. All testing must be completed by March 10, 2023 for scholarship eligibility.
All auditions must follow the guidelines for audition repertoire.
See steps to prepare for your audition.
Step 4: Admission Decisions
Audition results will be communicated to you and to the Registrar's Office by the Fountain School's Director. The Registrar's Office will inform you of your academic admissibility to Dalhousie University/King's. Please note that acceptance by both the Fountain School and Dalhousie/King's is required. The Fountain School cannot override admission decisions made by the university.
Applications to Dalhousie and to the Fountain School should be governed by the following dates. To be considered for an entrance scholarship, your undergraduate application must be complete (including all transcripts) by Friday, February 24, 2023.
|February 24, 2023||
SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINE! To audition for music scholarship consideration you must:
1. Ensure that your Undergraduate Application to Dalhousie (or King’s) is complete, including all high school or transfer institution transcripts. Apply at dal.ca/admissions. Remember to apply for a General Entrance Award Application. Visit dal.ca/scholarships.
2. Submit your 2023 Supplemental Application Form directly to the Fountain School of Performing Arts.
|March 3, 2023||Scholarship audition/interview at Dalhousie campus.
|March 10, 2023
||Final scholarship audition/interview at Dalhousie campus.
Distance applicants who wish to be considered for Music entrance scholarships must submit their video and complete other testing by March 10, 2023.
|Early April 2023||University and Music entrance scholarships announced|
|May 2023 (date TBA)
||Late auditions, pending studio space availability (non-scholarship)|
|June 1, 2023||Applications received after June 1 are subject to a $25 late fee and pending studio availability.|