For Faculty & Staff
2019-20 Faculty & Staff Guide
This useful resource includes updates to the Submission of Grades section including links to the Grading Practices Policy, grade submission deadline for Fall and Winter terms and Step by Step Help Guides on how to submit grades and how to change grades in Dal Online.
2019-20 Undergraduate Calendar
Faculty and staff should become familiar with all general university policies, procedures, and deadlines.
Faculty are required to report any planned absences in writing (email please) to the Director with a copy to email@example.com.
Etiquette for faculty & staff
The DFA Collective Agreement stipulates that faculty members must "...agree to cooperate in encouraging in Dalhousie University a climate of freedom, responsibility and mutual respect..." [Article 2.01] To that end, it is expected and required of Fountain School of Performing Arts faculty and office staff to treat each other with respect and collegiality at all times.
To minimize interference with other rehearsals and classes taking place, conductors of ensembles and instructors are asked to keep rehearsal room doors closed during rehearsals and performances. Sound amplification during rehearsals should be used judiciously and with consideration for other activities taking place in the immediate area. Out of consideration and respect for our office staff, please refrain from using the FSPA Office for meetings or casual conversations.
While email is a very efficient communication tool, poor email etiquette can cause misunderstandings and bad feelings. Staff and students are expected to observe the standards of courtesy and professionalism that apply to all University communications. Please adhere to the following guidelines when communicating via email:
- Email is not to be used to criticize or scold FSPA employees. Contentious issues should be resolved in person or by phone.
- Emails should be written with an air of professionalism and courtesy.
- When corresponding with non-Dalhousie recipients, carefully proofread e-mails before sending, checking for proper spelling and grammar. Avoid using emoticons and abbreviations (LOL, BTW, etc.,) as their use is generally considered to be too informal for university correspondence.
- Faculty members are encouraged to respond to emails as promptly as their schedule reasonably allows within regular business hours.
Computers for faculty
For part-time faculty who may not have access to a dedicated office computer or home computer, the School provides shared computers for your use in a room off the main FSPA office (514) and the Part-Time Music Studio (113). Please visit the FSPA Office for room keys to these shared spaces. All FSPA computers will print to the copier/scanner/fax machine in the main office (514) or to the printer/scanner in Room 532. A printer is also connected to the computer in the Part-Time Music Studio (basement). Faculty members are not permitted to use staff computers or printers.
FSPA office access
The FSPA Office is open Mon-Fri from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Students are asked to make every effort to attend to academic business during working hours. Staff who may be working after hours will not permit student entry except in case of emergency.
- For security reasons, students are not permitted beyond the office counter or in the mail room. The only exception will be for those on official student society business or student employees.
- Faculty may access the office any time during building hours (usually 7:30 am to 11:30 pm). Please see the Secretary to obtain keys. No access to staff workspaces is permitted.