Register on Track ‑ Current Students

How to prepare for course registration!

We want to help you create a course schedule that meets your program requirements, considers your academic and career goals, and helps you make the most out of your degree.

Check out these resources to help you prepare for registration:

Returning student registration dates:

March 5, 2024 - Fall/Winter 2024/2025 Academic Timetable available

March 19, 2024 - Registration opens for Graduate students, Faculties of Health, Engineering and Agriculture starting at 7:30am for Fall/Winter 2024/2025

March 20, 2024 - Registration opens for all other undergraduate programs at 6:00am, 8:00am, and 10:00am for Fall/Winter 2024/2025 (current Dal & transfer students)

For a complete list of important dates, click here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Note: The information in this section is primarily for undergraduate students enrolled in a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree (Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree (Faculty of Science). If you are not in these Faculties, while you may find some of the information helpful, we encourage you to connect with an advisor in your program. You can visit the Where to Go for Advising webpage to find who your advisor is and how to connect with them.

How to Register for Courses

You can find a refresher on the Register for courses webpage.


How do I know what Courses to Register for

Explore your program requirements in the Academic Calendar or view the Degree Planning & Registration 101 presentation:

How to Read the Academic Timetable

You can find a refresher on the How to read the timetable webpage.

How to Declare your Major and/or Minor

How to declare your major (and minor and/or certificate, if applicable):
  • Login to Dal Online
  • Under Web for Students, click Student Records, then click Declare Your Major/Minor/Certificate
  • Fill out out all relevant fields to you (major, minor, etc.) and submit the form
  • If you experience any problems with the online form, contact the Registrar's Office at 902-494-2450 or email

Why to Declare your Major and/or Minor

Your department(s) will know you are in their program(s) and can notify you about departmental events. Some programs require you to declare to be able to register for required courses.

Your program(s) will be accurate in your degree audit and therefore useful when when you choose your courses.

In your graduating year, the Registrar's Office will check your degree audit to make sure you have fulfilled all of your requirements. They need to know what program(s) you are in to inform you of your ability to graduate.

What Happens if I don't know what Major I want to Declare by the end of First Year?

Remaining undeclared after your first year isn’t as uncommon as you might think. We recommend meeting with an academic advisor to help you plan your courses and explore what you might like to do with your degree. Visit the Where to Go for Advising webpage to find who your advisor is.

If you need help connecting your education and career goals, we recommend meeting with our Student Success Career Advisor or our Career Counsellor at the Bissett Student Success Centre. Call 902-494-3077 or email to book a career appointment.

How to use the Degree Audit?

The degree audit reporting system (DARS) is a tool found in your Dal Online to help you understand what program requirements you have already completed and what you have remaining to complete your program. The degree audit includes the ability to plan future courses you are interested in taking. 

For a more in-depth guide to the degree audit, explore the Your degree audit webpage.

How to Make the Most of your Electives



Honours Planning 101

Degree Planning on a Post-It Note

Navigating the Academic Calendar: The Only Document You'll Ever Need

What Can I Do With My Degree?

Learn more about what students in the Faculty of Arts and Social Science do once they graduate here: What can I do with a Bachelor of Arts degree
Learn more about what students in the Faculty of Science do once they graduate here: What can I do with a Bachelor of Science degree
If you would like more support with career exploration, explore some of these resources through the Bissett Student Success Centre:
  • Career Advising: Book an appointment with our Career Advisor for help exploring careers, job/volunteer search, skill development & more! Or attend one of our career education workshops.
  • Career Counselling: Wondering what to do after school? Get some guidance from our career counsellor or join a career development group.
  • Job & Career Resources: There are plenty of resources available to you, on and off campus, to help you with your career development—from researching industries to acing interviews.
  • Peer Advising: Book an appointment with a peer advisor to get help you with your resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile, to learn about and practice different interview strategies and more.


Make an appointment with an advisor!

Studying in a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science program on the Halifax campus? Advisors in the Bissett Student Success Centre in Halifax would be happy to meet with you. To find out more, call us at 902-494-3077 or visit our office on the 4th floor of the Student Union Building (room 426).

Not in one of the above programs or want to speak with a Faculty Advisor? A complete list of contacts can be found here:

If you are studying on our Truro Campus, visit the Student Success Centre page for more information.