International Exchange Program
Spend a term studying abroad
Our JD program offers valuable opportunities to for Schulich Law students to study in other countries and in other legal traditions. Students are eligible to do an exchange in their third year of the program; exchanges are normally completed over one term. While attending the exchange partner institution, tuition will be paid at Dalhousie.
We also offer opportunities for students from around the world to come and spend a term studying at the Schulich School of Law.
Information for Schulich Law students
Partner institutions participating in the International Exchange Program
With over 20 exchange partners, students can spend their exchanges at the following institutions:*
- Arctic University of Norway (Tromso, Norway)
- Burcerius Law School (Hamburg, Germany)
- China University of Political Science and Law (Beijing, China)
- Laval University (Quebec, Canada)
- Lund University (Lund, Sweden)
- National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- Queens University of Belfast (Northern Ireland)
- Queensland University of Technology (Queensland, Australia)
- Tsinghua Law School (Beijing, China)
- University of Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- University of Bergen (Bergen, Norway)
- University of Genoa (Genoa, Italy
- University of Limerick (Limerick, Ireland)
- University of Southampton (Southampton, U.K.)
- University of Witwatersrand (Johannesburg, South Africa)
- Victoria University of Wellington (Wellington, New Zealand)
- Vrije Universiteit (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- Instituto Technologico de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Escuela de Dercho (ITESM) (Monterrey, Mexico
- Universidad Panamericana (Mexico City, Mexico
- Southwestern Law School (California, U.S.)
- University of Arizona (Arizona, U.S.)
- University of Houston Law Centre (Texas, U.S.)
- George Washington University
The International Linkages Committee does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. It is the responsibility of each student to verify the relevant information needed for attending the school(s) of their choice.
Apply for an International Exchange
Exchanges are available during third year of study only, and eligibility is based on having a minimum B- cumulative average.
Selection is by lottery and based upon the student's selected preference.
For students in #L wanting more information on going on exchange for the 2022/2023 Academic year there will be an information session held Tuesday January 25, 2022 in Room 105. Applications are due by noon February 3rd, 2022.
Online exchange program application
Credit for participation cannot be received for more than one exchange program.
Professor Olabisi Akinkugbe
Chair, International Linkages Committee
Administrative Secretary, International Linkages Committee
Please be aware that some of the partner exchange schools’ terms end later than the term ends at Dalhousie and that various consequences could flow from having to defer graduation, including issues with bar admission courses, articles, clerkships, graduate school, and other employment issues.
Students wishing to study away on a letter of permission for a year or a term at another Canadian law school must speak to the Associate Dean, Academic for more details. Note: Students who spend a term at another Canadian law school are not permitted to participate in an exchange program during the same academic year.