News» Go to news main
KUDOS! Schulich School of Law Professor Jocelyn Downie invested as a Member of the Order of Canada
Downie's primary focus has been on end-of-life law, policy, and care – voluntary euthanasia, assisted suicide, terminal sedation, and unilateral withholding or withdrawal of potentially life-sustaining treatment. She has worked extensively on the protection of human participants in research (particularly in the context of increasing commercialization of public universities and hospitals) and the protection and promotion of women’s health (particularly in the context of abortion and assisted human reproduction).
In 2015, Downie, who is cross-appointed in the Faculty of Medicine, was the first Dalhousie faculty member – and, indeed, the first in Nova Scotia – to receive a prestigious Trudeau Fellowship from the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation.
Another notable new Order of Canada recipient is the Honourable Thomas Cromwell, who has been appointed a Companion of the Order of Canada for his illustrious service as a Supreme Court justice and his leadership in improving access to justice for all Canadians. Cromwell taught law at Dalhousie from 1982 to 1992 and again from 1995 to 1997.
Also on the recipient list is Elizabeth Cromwell, who has been invested as a Member of the Order of Canada. At Dalhousie's Spring 2017 Convocation, she received a Doctor of Laws (honoris causa) for her contributions to Black heritage preservation and education in Nova Scotia.
The new Order of Canada recipients are among good company. In 2005, Schulich School of Law Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay was invested as a Member of the Order of Canada in recognition of his commitment and passion to human rights, equality, and diversity in Canadian society.
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Global News at 6 Halifax: June 14"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Legal expert says RCMP should replace husbands of top officers on public inquiry team"
- Professor Robert Currie ft in "Memorandum of Judgment"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "RCMP reviews hiring of 2 staffers helping prepare for mass shooting inquiry"
- Professor and Director of Health Law Institute Matthew Herder ft in "Canada releases redacted versions of COVID‑19 vaccine contracts – –"
- Professor Robert Currie ft in "Police, feds not chasing alleged sexual predators who fled country"
- Professor Robert Currie wrote "ROBERT J. CURRIE: Canada letting foreign fugitives get away with rape"
- Professor Jodi Lazare ft in "Commons Committee to consider Health of Animals bill"