News» Go to news main
KUDOS! Schulich School of Law Professor Jocelyn Downie invested as a Member of the Order of Canada
Downie's primary focus has been on end-of-life law, policy, and care – voluntary euthanasia, assisted suicide, terminal sedation, and unilateral withholding or withdrawal of potentially life-sustaining treatment. She has worked extensively on the protection of human participants in research (particularly in the context of increasing commercialization of public universities and hospitals) and the protection and promotion of women’s health (particularly in the context of abortion and assisted human reproduction).
In 2015, Downie, who is cross-appointed in the Faculty of Medicine, was the first Dalhousie faculty member – and, indeed, the first in Nova Scotia – to receive a prestigious Trudeau Fellowship from the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation.
Another notable new Order of Canada recipient is the Honourable Thomas Cromwell, who has been appointed a Companion of the Order of Canada for his illustrious service as a Supreme Court justice and his leadership in improving access to justice for all Canadians. Cromwell taught law at Dalhousie from 1982 to 1992 and again from 1995 to 1997.
Also on the recipient list is Elizabeth Cromwell, who has been invested as a Member of the Order of Canada. At Dalhousie's Spring 2017 Convocation, she received a Doctor of Laws (honoris causa) for her contributions to Black heritage preservation and education in Nova Scotia.
The new Order of Canada recipients are among good company. In 2005, Schulich School of Law Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay was invested as a Member of the Order of Canada in recognition of his commitment and passion to human rights, equality, and diversity in Canadian society.
- Professor Rob Currie ft in "Julian Assange arrested in London"
- Professor Rob Currie ft in "Possible Saudi aid to man accused of Cape Breton sex assault never probed by government agencies"
- Professor Jodi Lazare ft in "Dalhousie lecture explores our legal relationship with animals"
- Law student and basketball player recognized for skills both on and off the court
- Professor Jon Penney ft in "Cyber meddling expected in federal election: report"
- Professor Rob Currie ft in "Omar Khadr is a free man. Does the U.S. care?"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Premier should look into allegations against Churchill: law prof"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Mounties apologize to N.S. woman for incorrectly suspending her licence for a week"