PO Box 15000, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Modern African history
- Intellectual history
- Social history
- History of slavery
- Colonial and post-colonial global history
- BA (Dalhousie)
- MA (Dalhousie)
- PhD (Toronto)
- Colonial Subjects: An African Intelligentsia and Atlantic Ideas. University Press of Virginia, Charlottesville, 2000.
- "Who Needs a Witch Doctor? Refiguring British Colonial Cinema in the 1940s," in Lee Grieveson and Colin MacCabe eds., Film and the End of Empire (London: Palgrave Macmillan for the British Film Institute, 2011), pp. 95-117
- "African Intellectuals and the Reconceptualization of Africa," in Misty Bastian and Jane Parpart, eds., Great Ideas for Teaching About Africa (Rienner, Boulder, 1999).
- "African History and Imperial Culture in Colonial Nigerian Schools," Africa 68 (1998).
- "Of Origins and Colonial Order: Southern Nigerian Historians and the 'Hamitic Hypothesis,' c. 1870-1970," Journal of African History 35 (1994).
- HIST 1911(01)W - Life Stories Seminar (2019-2020 Topic: Father of Pan Africanism: Kwame Nkrumah)
- HIST 2711F - Struggles that Shaped the Modern World: 1600-1900
- HIST 3430W - Making of Colonial Africa, 1850-1930
- HIST 4475F - African Intellectuals and the Modern Experience
Office Hours Fall Term 2019