University Research Professor 2006-2016; George Munro Chair in History; Interim Coordinator, European Studies Program
PO Box 15000, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Early modern Italian and French history
- Behavioural history
- Baroque civilizations
- War and society
- Legal history
- Material culture
- Human ethology and social psychology
- Licence és Lettres (Bordeaux)
- MA (Toronto)
- Doctorat du 3e cycle (Bordeaux)
- European Military History 1500-1750, forthcoming Rutledge, 2020
- Italy 1636: Cemetery of Armies, Oxford University Press, 2016
- The Hero of Italy: The duke of Parma and the Thirty Years' War. Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Vita Rurale in Terra Di Siena Nel Seicento Natura. Pascal Editrice, 2008.
- Human Nature in Rural Tuscany: an early modern history. Palgrave-Macmillan, 2007. (Italian translation completed, by dott. Simone Caffari).
- The Origins of Modern Italy 1550-1800; Three seasons in European History. London & New York, Palgrave, 2000 (Italian translation, Il Mulino, Storia dell’Italia moderna, Bologna, 2002).
- The Twilight of a Military Tradition: Italian Aristocrats and European Conflicts, 1560-1800. London, University College London Press, (now Taylor & Francis) 1998.
- Confession and Community in Seventeenth-Century France: Catholic and Protestant coexistence in Aquitaine. University of Pennsylvania Press, 1993, 312 pp.
- L’Univers des gens de bien: Culture et comportements des élites urbaines en Aquitaine au 17e siècle, Bordeaux, Presses universitaires de Bordeaux, 1989
Awards and honours
- (2007) International conference around my book: The Twilight of a Military Tradition, at Reggia di Venaria, Italy. 30 November - 1 December 2007, entitled Riflessioni sulla "Piedmontese exception." Acts published under the title Il Piemonte come eccezione? Paola Bianchi ed., Torino. 2008
- (2006 to 2016) Dalhousie University Research Professor
- (2003) SSHRC High Performer, designated such by a doctoral research project by A. Chawla, under the direction of Dr. Steven Cronshaw, Professor of Industrial-Organizational Psychology, University of Guelph
- HIST 2015W - War and Society in Early Modern Europe
- HIST 2062F - Civilization of Baroque Italy
- HIST 3046F - Culture and Behaviour in France, 1550-1750 Part I
- HIST 3047W - Culture and Behaviour in France, 1550-1750 Part II
- HIST 4175F - Display Behaviour in Baroque Italy
Office Hours Winter Term 2020:
- Wednesdays: 13:00-14:30
- walk-in or by appointment