PO Box 15000, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- South African history
- Conflict in 20th century Africa
- Urban African history
- BA (Queen’s)
- BEd (Queen’s)
- MA (Dalhousie)
- PhD (Dalhousie)
- Township Violence and the End of Apartheid: War on the Reef (James Currey; Wits University Press 2018)
- "Apartheid's Afterlives: Violence, Policing and the South African State" Journal of Southern African Studies 42, 1 (2016).
- War on the Reef: Township Violence and the End of Apartheid, 1990-1994 (manuscript in progress).
- We are Fighting the World: The Marashea Gangs in South Africa, 1947-1999 (Ohio University Press; University of KwaZulu-Natal Press, 2005).
- "Fear and Alienation: Narratives of Crime and Race in Post-Apartheid South Africa" Canadian Journal of African Studies 47, 3 (2013).
- "Reassessing Transition Violence: Voices from South Africa's Township Wars", 1990-94" African Affairs 112, 447 (2013).
- Co-editor (with Jocelyn Alexander) and introduction for The Hiistories and Legacies of Punishment in Southern Africa, special issue of Journal of Southern African Studies 37, 3 (2011).
- "Of Compounds and Cellblocks: The Foundations of Violence in Johannesburg, 1890s-1950s" Journal of Southern African Studies 37, 3 (2011).
- HIST 1910 (01) F - Life Stories Seminar (2017-2018 Topic: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela and the Struggle against Apartheid)
- HIST 2426W - Africa since 1900: Disruption and Innovation
Office Hours Fall Term