Associate Professor, Graduate Coordinator; Director, Minor in Middle East Studies
PO Box 15000, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Medieval and early modern Islamic history
- Intellectual history
- Religious history
- Euro-Islamic contacts
- Persian history
- Iranian history
- Medieval history of South Asia
- BA (Regina)
- MA (McGill)
- PhD (Toronto)
- New Perspectives on Safavid Iran: Empire and Society (ed.). Iranian Studies Series, London: Routledge, 2011.
- The Practice of Politics in Safavid Iran: Power, Religion and Rhetoric. London: I. B. Tauris, 2009.
- Sir Thomas Roe and the Mughal Empire. Karachi: University of Karachi, Area Study Centre of Europe, 2000.
- "Persian Rhetoric in the Safavid Context: A 16th-century Nürbakhshiyya Treatise on Insha." In eds. W. Hanaway and B. Spooner. Literacy in the Persianate World: Writing and the Social Order. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, 2012, pp. 196-231.
- "Am I My Brother's Keeper? Negotiating Corporate Sovereignty and Divine Absolutism in Sixteenth-Century Turco-Iranian Politics." In New Perspectives on Safavid Iran: Empire and Society. Ed. Colin P. Mitchell. London: Routledge, 2011, pp. 33-58.
Awards and honours
- 2012-2015 SSHRC Insight Grant - "Ruling from a Red Canopy: Princely States and Governates in the Perso-Islamic World, 1000-1700"
- Recipient of Honorable Mention for the Middle East Studies Association's 2010 Houshang Pourshariati Iranian Studies Book Award
- 2002-2004 SSHRC Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship
- 2002-2003 Mellon Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Persian history and culture, Society for the Humanities, Cornell University
- 2002 Honorable Mention - Dissertation Award of Foundation for Iranian Studies
- HIST 2014F - First World War: How it Changed Our World
- HIST 2503W - Medieval Islamic Civilization
- HIST 3500F - Topics in Global History (2016-2017 Topic: History of Muslim Culture in South Asia)
- HIST 3510W - Sultans and Shahs: Politics and Religion in the Islamic Gunpowder Age (1500-1800)
- HIST 3511W - Ancient and Medieval History of the Persianate World
Office Hours Summer Term
- by appointment