News» Go to news main
KUDOS! Christa Brothers (LLB '96) appointed a judge of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia
Congratulations to our alumna Madam Justice Christa Brothers (LLB ’96), who has been appointed a judge of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia in Halifax. After earning her law degree, Justice Brothers clerked at the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal. She joined Stewart McKelvey in 1999 and became a partner in 2006. Her litigation practice focused on insurance defence, commercial and construction litigation, and administrative law.
Justice Brothers has appeared before all levels of court in Nova Scotia, and her excellence in litigation has been consistently recognized. She has been lauded by her peers, including being named Lawyer of the Year in personal injury litigation by Best Lawyers in 2017 and receiving recognition from Benchmark Canada. In 2014, Justice Brothers received her Queen’s Counsel designation.
Throughout her career, Justice Brothers has been a dedicated member of the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society, including serving as the chair of the Complaints and Investigation Committee, as elected member of Council, and as the second vice-president. Above all, her work has been guided by a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, and access to justice. She has mentored many while serving on the board of directors for the Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia, the National Insurance Law Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association, and the board of directors for the Canada Games Centre in Halifax.
Justice Brothers’ commitment to diversity and inclusion was most recently recognized when the Canadian Progress Club bestowed upon her the Progress Women of Excellence Award in the category of Management and Professions.
- Schulich Law Professor Jonathon Penney's "chilling" Internet‑regulation research is more urgent now than ever
- KUDOS! 11 law school alumni appointed to the Queen's Counsel
- Schulich Law's first Mini Law School on the Road public lecture explored how to legally protect Indigenous culture
- Portrait of Burnley "Rocky" Jones (LLB '92) unveiled in Weldon's Atrium
- KUDOS! Five Schulich School of Law students win 2017‑2018 Impact Awards
- The Right Hon. Beverley McLachlin, P.C., captivated the crowd in Schulich Law's Room 105
- KUDOS! DBLSA awarded Chapter of the Year 2017‑2018 at Black Law Students' Association of Canada conference
- Wellness at Weldon's Mental Health Panel to address depression and the impact of alcohol in the legal profession