The Wood Shop is located on the ground floor of the IDEA Building. It has 3,000 square feet of working space and a fully automated, state-of-the-art dust collection system.
- The shop is open Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm.
- Hours are posted on the shop door.
Online booking for Wood Shop: http://dalarchonlinebooking.ca/
- The online booking system must be used to book Wood Shop time and online consultations. (The shop no longer operates on a first-come, first-served basis.)
- The shop orientation must be completed before being permitted to use the shop. This applies to students, faculty, and staff.
- Other than the shop supervisor, no more than 5 people can be in the shop at one time.
- CSA-approved, steel-toed footwear is required. Long hair must be tied back. No dangling jewelry.
- There is NO access to the Wood Shop when Regan is not present or outside scheduled hours.
Contact and Support
Regan Southcott (shop supervisor); 902-719-6428; email@example.com
- conducts Wood Shop orientations
- assists and trains students in the proper use of equipment
- is available for consultation on methods to achieve model-making goals
Facilities and Equipment
- supports student and faculty model-making needs for learning and research
- provides training in model-making principles and processes in various media
- supports faculty and graduate student design and research, particularly prototyping
- SawStop tablesaw
- panel saw
- 24" thickness planer
- 8" jointer
- radial arm saw
- horizontal belt sander
- combination vertical belt and disc sander
- wood lathe
- large and small bandsaws
- scroll saw
- drill presses
- 10" sliding compound mitre saw
- hollow chisel mortiser
- bench grinder
- CNC router [pdf] (may be used only under special conditions)
- hand tools (must be used in the shop; cannot be signed out)
- Shop users supply their own materials.
- Cutting of recycled materials requires advance permission from Regan.
- If you wish to have large items delivered directly to the shop, check with Regan. Storage facilities are limited.
The University’s safety policies are guided by Nova Scotia’s provincial workplace safety act, based on the Internal Responsibility System. This means that students, supervisors, and administrators of a workplace share responsibility for health and safety. In other words, safety in the workplace is the responsibility of each of us. For more information, please download the Faculty workplace safety framework and the Faculty's Rules for Use of Technical Facilities and Equipment.
Wood Shop Rules
- If you have not completed the shop orientation, you cannot use the shop.
- No more than five people (other than the shop supervisor) can be in the shop at any time.
- Tools cannot be taken out of the shop.
- If Regan has to leave the room, all equipment use should cease until he returns.
- Major equipment (thickness planer, table saw, jointer, radial arm saw) cannot be used without approval each time from Regan.
- When Regan is advising another student, do not ask to use major equipment.
- CSA-approved, steel-toed footwear is required.
Operation of Machinery
- Ask Regan if you do not know the proper use of a tool or machine.
- Understand the operation of the dust collector. (This is explained during the Wood Shop orientation.)
- Wear eye protection at all times (available in the shop).
- Use a push stick when working close to blades.
- Do not leave a machine running unattended.
- Do not rush.
- Do not talk when you are using a machine.
- Do not talk to someone else who is using a machine.
- Recycled materials cannot be used without approval from Regan.
- Return all blades and guards to their safe operating position.
- Clean up wood scraps and sawdust from the machine and the floor.
- If you notice something that needs repair, report it immediately to Regan.