News» Go to news main
KUDOS! Aldo Chircop named Canada Research Chair in Maritime Law and Policy
On behalf of Dean Camille Cameron, our warmest congratulations to Professor Aldo Chircop, who was officially announced today as the Canada Research Chair in Maritime Law and Policy.
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, along with the Honourable Scott Brison, President of the Treasury Board, made the announcement today at Dalhousie’s Heavy Structures Lab at an event celebrating the appointment of six new innovative and talented Dalhousie researchers as Canada Research Chairs.
Created in 2000, the Canada Research Chairs program has helped attract and retain some of the world's most accomplished and promising minds. Canada Research Chairs deepen our knowledge, enhance our quality of life and grow our economy. Dalhousie University will receive $5.7 million for these new chairs.
The Marine and Environmental Law Institute at the Schulich School of Law is home to both Professor Aldo Chircop, Canada Research Chair in Maritime Law and Policy, and Professor David VanderZwaag, Canada Research Chair in Ocean Law and Governance. The Health Law Institute’s Professor Jocelyn Downie is a past Canada Research Chair in Health Law and Policy.
"We're very pleased that Minister Bains and Minister Brison are here to personally honour our newest Canada Research Chairs,” says Dalhousie President Dr. Richard Florizone. "We are thrilled to have the expertise and insight of these researchers at Dalhousie University. Their work contributes not only to the Dalhousie community but also to the world as a whole.”
- Professor Adelina Iftene's research aims to improve access to justice and health care for prisoners
- KUDOS! Alumna Tilly Pillay (LLB '89) named new executive director of the Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- KUDOS! Former law school professor Bruce Wildsmith receives the NSBS 2017 Distinguished Service Award
- KUDOS! Law school alumna Ann Marie Simmons (LLB '83) appointed new Provincial and Family Court judge
- KUDOS! Professor David VanderZwaag's Canada Research Chair has been renewed for seven years
- IN MEMORIAM: David A. Stewart (LLB '59)
- KUDOS! Professor Kim Brooks and alumna Nathalie Goyette appointed to the Judicial Advisory Committee for the Tax Court of Canada
- Former Chief Justice Thomas Cromwell joined members of the Cape Breton Bar Society for breakfast on Oct. 6