Auditions for the acting program
The first year acting class (THEA 1800) is open to any student, regardless of experience. However, entrance into the next three years of the Acting Program is by audition only. Students may secure a spot in the Acting Program by auditioning EITHER directly out of high school before enrolling in their first year at Dalhousie OR upon completion of their first year. In both scenarios they MUST complete THEA 1800 (or an equivalent at another university) in order to be eligible for the next three years of the program. Students whose auditions have earned them acceptance following high school must maintain a grade of B in their THEA 1800 class in order or to maintain their spot in the upper years of the program. Scholarship auditions for high school graduates will be held in March and one non-scholarship date will be held in early April. Auditions for first year students are held in April, at the end of the winter term.
A) Students auditioning from high school must complete an Acting Supplemental Audition Form and submit it with all required materials to the Fountain School. For scholarship consideration, the form and all required materials, including reference letters, must be received by March 1. Please see Acting Auditions for High School Students for more details.
B) Students auditioning at completion of THEA 1800 must sign up to audition in April (audition dates are announced each year). See below for the audition requirements for current students completing THEA 1800.
We actively encourage submissions from applicants of all genders, ethnicities, and abilities.
- Applicants are required to prepare two monologues of a contrasting nature (one dramatic and one comic): one Shakespearian monologue to be chosen from our Shakespearian monologue recommendations; and one monologue from a modern (20th-Century or later) play. Applicants are free to choose any speech, but if they wish, collections of appropriate monologues can be found in section PN 2080 in the Killam Library. After choosing your monologue, read the entire play from which the speech was chosen. Audition speeches must be memorized. Neither selection can be longer than two minutes in duration.
- Applicants will be required to do a cold reading (a sight reading of a passage to be provided by the panel) and to sing a short song or portion of a song (unaccompanied or self-accompanied) and no longer than one minute in length.
- Applicants may be asked to demonstrate imagination and spontaneity by being asked to re-do their piece or improvise if given direction.
- Applicants must provide a current photo and resume along with the names, addresses, and phone numbers of two references (preferably a former drama teacher, director, or someone with whom the applicant has worked in the theatre, other than a fellow student or current Fountain School Acting Program instructor). Resumes should also include complete contact information (mailing address, phone number, e-mail address, etc.) for the applicant, so that he or she can be contacted over the summer.
- Applicants should submit these materials at their auditions along with a one-page declaration of why they wish to study to be an actor in the Dalhousie Acting Program.
- Applicants should wear comfortable clothing and footwear to auditions.
- Applicants need to be available to return for a group call-back a few days later. Applicants will be informed of their call-back on a posted list.
- Auditions for 2020-21 will take place on April 6 and 7, 2020 at the Dalhousie Arts Centre. Group call backs will be on April 8, 2020.