Sustainability Work-Integrated Learning (WIL)
- Available to students in BA and BSc degrees with ESS as one of their Major subjects.
- Gain relevant work experience with sustainability-related work terms alternating with academic study terms.
- Apply the knowledge and skills you learn in-class to the workplace.
- Test and explore careers, develop professional skills, and establish a network you can tap into after graduation.
- Earn an income while earning your degree. Graduate with experience!
WIL program options in Sustainability:
Sustainability Co-operative Education (Co-op) involves three paid work terms alternating with academic terms, starting in the summer after second year. Students usually apply after completing their first year in the ESS program, with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
Sustainability Work Experience Program (WEP) involves one paid work term, usually in winter or summer of third year. Students apply after completing their second year in the ESS program, with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
Which WIL program is right for you?
Sustainability Co-op and WEP both provide meaningful work experience that informs career choices and facilitates employment post graduation.
In Sustainability Co-op, students have the advantage of experiencing three sustainability-related jobs, providing opportunities for progression of skill development and exposure to different careers. Completing a degree with Co-op usually requires an extra term after fourth year (see typical schedule below), but graduating with 12 months of work experience provides a great advantage for finding employment after graduation.
Typical schedule of academic and work terms for Sustainability Co-op:
Year 1 Fall and Winter: Academic terms, complete ESS first-year requirements, GPA 3.0 or better.
Year 1 Summer: Apply for Sustainability Co-op
Year 2 Fall: Academic term, plus Co-op Preparation Seminar (online)
Year 2 Winter: Academic term, apply for co-op jobs
Year 2 Summer: Co-op Work Term #1
Year 3 Fall: Academic term, apply for co-op jobs
Year 3 Winter: Co-op Work Term #2
Year 3 Summer: Co-op Work Term #3
Year 4 Fall and Winter: Academic terms
Year 4 Summer or Year 5 Fall: Academic term