Professor of Law; Canada Research Chair (Tier 1) in Maritime Law and Policy
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Arctic shipping
- Canadian maritime law
- International maritime law
- International law of the sea
- Ocean law and policy
- LLD (Malta)
- LLM (Dalhousie)
- JSD (Dalhousie)
- Nova Scotia
Cross-appointments & affiliations
- Marine Affairs Program, Faculty of Science, Dalhousie University, International Development Studies Program, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, Centre for Foreign Policy Studies, Department of Political Science
- Canadian Transportation Research Forum
- Marine Technology Society
- Member of Canadian Maritime Law Association and Marine Technology Society
- Member, Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
Areas of supervision:
Maritime Law, Law of the Sea, Arctic Shipping
Dr Chircop's principal areas of research are in Canadian maritime law, international maritime law and international law of the sea. In particular, his maritime research focuses on the international regulation of shipping in polar regions, especially in the Arctic. He is Chair of the Comité Maritime International’s International Working Group on Polar Shipping. His previous positions included directorships of the Marine & Environmental Law Institute (MELAW), Marine Affairs Program (MAP), International Ocean Institute (IOI) and the Mediterranean Institute at the University of Malta. Dr Chircop was also Canadian Chair in Marine Environment Protection at the IMO's World Maritime University in Malmö, Sweden. Dr. Chircop has published extensively in Canada and overseas.
Selected awards & honours
- Co-recipient, with Professors Hugh Kindred and Edgar Gold, Walter Owen Book Prize at the Canadian Bar Association in 2005
- Recipient of the Dalhousie Faculty of Graduate Studies Distinguished Services Award
- Recipient of the Dalhousie Student Union's Teaching Excellence Award for the Faculty of Law
- Aldo Chricop et al, eds, Canadian Maritime Law, 2nd ed (Toronto: Irwin Law, 2016).
- Myron H Nordquist et al, eds, The Regulation of Continental Shelf Development: Rethinking International Standards, (Leiden: Nijhoff, 2013).
- Aldo Chircop et al, eds, The Regulation of International Shipping: Essays in Honour of Edgar Gold, (Leiden: Nijhoff, 2012).
- Aldo Chircop, Ted L McDorman & Susan J Rolston, eds, The Future of Ocean Regime-Building: Essays in Tribute to Douglas M Johnston, (Leiden: Nijhoff, 2009).
- Timo Koivurova et al, Understanding and Strengthening European Union-Canada Relations in Law of the Sea and Ocean Governance, (Rovaniemi: University of Lapland, 2009).
- Aldo Chircop & Olof Linden, eds, Places of Refuge for Ships: Emerging Environmental Concerns of a Maritime Custom, (Leiden: Nijhoff, 2006).
- Aldo Chircop, Edgar Gold & Hugh Kindred, Maritime Law (Toronto: Irwin Law, 2003).
- Aldo Chircop, Andre Gerolymatos & John O Iatrides, eds, The Aegean Sea After the Cold War: Security and Law of the Sea Issues, (New York: Macmillan, 2000).
- Aldo Chircop is co-editor of the Ocean Yearbook (University of Chicago Pess; Transnational Press; Nijhoff) since volume 13 (currently at volume 29).
Service & activity
- Chair, International Working Group on Polar Shipping, Comité Maritime International
- Board Director, Oceans Learning Partnership, Newfoundland & Labrador
- Member, Conseil Scientifique, Institut Universitaire de la Mer, Brest, France
- Research Advisory Committee, Clear Seas, Vancouver