PO Box 15000, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4R2
- Social justice and inequality
- Urban studies
- Space and place
- Applied - action research
- Canadian Studies
- School of Planning
- BA Hons, University of Sussex
- MA, Université Laval
- PhD, Insitut national de la recherche scientifique
Martha Radice is a social anthropologist whose work focuses on the social, spatial and cultural dynamics of cities. She has investigated social relations, especially interethnic relations, and the production of space in multiethnic commercial streets in Montréal. Her ongoing areas of interest are urban anthropology, public space, public art and public culture, multiculturalism and cosmopolitanism, applied urban research, and ethnographic methods.
Dr. Radice's current research explores carnival culture in New Orleans, for which she has been awarded a New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation Archive Fellowship (2017) and a SSHRC Insight Grant (2018-2023). She also works with Jill Grant and Howard Ramos on the Halifax team of the Canada-wide Neighbourhood Change Research Project. Her past interdisciplinary research-creation project with Solomon Nagler and Kim Morgan at NSCAD University explored how art can shape the urban public and, conversely, how the urban public can shape artistic production, and resulted in the book Urban Encounters: Art and the Public, co-edited with Alexandrine Boudreault-Fournier.
Dr. Radice is editor-in-chief of the Journal for Undergraduate Ethnography and Co-Chair of the first ever joint conference of the Canadian Anthropology Society and the American Anthropological Association. She can provide copies of most of her publications by email.
- Radice, M. (2018) Putting the public in public art: An ethnographic approach to two temporary art installations. City & Society 30(1): 45-67.
- Radice, M., & Boudreault-Fournier, A. (eds) (2017) Urban Encounters: Art and the Public. Montréal: McGill-Queen's University Press.
- Radice, M. (2016) Unpacking intercultural conviviality in multiethnic commercial streets. Journal of Intercultural Studies, 37(5): 432-448.
- Radice, M. (2015) Micro-cosmopolitanisms at the urban scale. Identities 22(5), 588-602.
- Germain, A., Leloup, X., & Radice, M. (2014) La cohabitation interethnique dans quatre quartiers de classe moyenne à Montréal : deux petites leçons tirées des discours sur la diversité. Diversité urbaine, 14(1): 5-24.
- Radice, M. (2009). Street-level Cosmopolitanism: Neighbourhood Shopping Streets in Multiethnic Montréal. In A. Wise & S. Velayutham (Eds.), Everyday Multiculturalism (pp. 140-157). Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.