Registration for Incoming BEDS Students
- To reserve your place in the BEDS program, go to Student Accounts to pay the $200 admission deposit. This can be done with an online payment. Wait four weekdays for your payment to be processed.
- Refer to your acceptance letter to find your Dalhousie ID (B00xxxxxx), then look up your NetID username and create your password. Write them down; you'll need them later.
- Now you can register. Go to Dal Online and log in with your NetID and password. Click on Block Registration. For 2017/2018 Fall, select "BEDS - B1 term." For 2017/2018 Winter, select "BEDS - B2 term."
- Go back and click on "Registration Fee Assessment" to find out your fees. You can pay your fees online.
- Your courses are listed on the 2017/2018 Fall timetable and the 2017/2018 Winter timetable.
Registration for Returning Students
Full-time and Part-time Status
To be considered a full-time student by the university (and for interest-free status on government student loans), you must be registered for at least 9 credit-hours of courses in a term. There are two exceptions:
- Students who are registered for ARCH 8892 (BEDS work term), ARCH 5308 or ARCH 5309 (MArch work term) are considered full-time. Students who are registered for ARCH 5310 (MArch work term continuation) are part-time.
- Students who have completed all MArch course requirements except Thesis and are registered for ARCH 9013 or ARCH 9009 can choose to be classified as full-time by notifying Architecture's graduate coordinator at least a month before the term begins. Full-time incidental fees are approximately $110 higher but full-time status may have advantages for student loans.
Students who have completed all MArch course requirements except Thesis and are registering for ARCH 9013 (MArch Thesis II) or ARCH 9009 (MArch Thesis Continuation) must register also for a generic course number, REGN 9999, that appears in the departmental list under "Registration Course - Graduate." This will not appear on your academic record or add to your tuition fees; it merely enables the university to classify and count you correctly as a thesis-only student.
A transfer credit exempts a student from having to repeat a required course in a subject that he/she has already studied. If you have completed a course(s) elsewhere that seems equivalent to a BEDS course at Dalhousie, you may apply for a transfer credit. This transfers the credit (but not the grade) to your Dalhousie BEDS program. For a previous course to qualify for transfer credit, the grade must be C or higher.
To apply for a transfer credit, fill out a Transfer Credit Application [PDF] and present it to the instructor after the first class, along with the course outline for the previous course(s). The instructor may need to see additional evidence of the course content, such as your assignments. If the BEDS course expects the subject to be applied in the process of architectural design and/or integrated with subjects in other courses, this will also be considered.
The instructor will make a recommendation and forward the form and the course outline to the Architecture office for final approval. If the transfer credit is approved, you should receive an acknowledgement from the university in a week or two. If you were admitted to the BEDS program with exactly two years of university, you must take an extra course before the end of the academic year (April) to compensate for this transfer credit.
Transfer credits are not available for MArch core courses (ARCH 5xxx) or electives (ARCH 6xxx) because a student can select a different course option.
Registration in Graduate Courses
If fewer than six students register for a course offered by an external instructor, the School may cancel the course. To enable the students to select a different course, a waiver of the deadline for adding a course will be arranged.