Every student is allocated an individual studio space with a desk, a chair, and a locker. New BEDS students are assigned spaces (mostly on the mezzanines) after the studio groups are organized in September. Different spaces will be assigned to everyone at the beginning of the winter and summer terms, when the studio groups are reorganized.
Temporary Studios (Winter and Summer 2019)
- O'Brien Hall - 7th floor (B2 and M6 students)
- O'Brien Hall - 5th floor (M6 students)
- Design Building - 3rd floor (B5 and M6 students)
For everyone's well-being and safety, please observe the following studio guidelines. They have been worked out jointly by faculty, students, and the fire marshall:
- One desk, one chair, and one locker per person.
- One portable partition per person on the studio floor.
- No permanent partitions or locked enclosures.
- No flammable partitions, curtains, awnings, etc.
- No smoking anywhere in the building or anywhere on Dal property
- No soldering irons, torches, or heating elements in the studio.
- The fire lanes in the studio must be kept completely clear at all times.
- Don't obstruct the sprinkler heads and don't prop open the fire doors.
- Aerosol sprays must be used in the attic spray room only, not in the studio or the stairwell.
- Plaster, cement, and concrete must be mixed in the lab, not in the studio.
- Power tools must be used in the woodworking shop or the lab, not in the studio.
- If you make a mess, clean it up, eh?
- If you listen to music, use earphones to avoid disturbing others.
- Keep any food items in a sealed container to discourage furry predators.
- Alcohol is not permitted in the building, except at special events with a liquor permit.
- Bicycles must be left outside the building.
- Make sure that your name appears on your books, your sketchbooks, and every drawing or model that leaves your desk.
- The Green Room (HD4) is used regularly as a classroom, so projects and materials must not be left there.
- Beware of thieves visiting the building; keep your locker locked and don't leave valuables unattended.
The studio floors need to be cleared at the end of the fall and winter terms. Store all of your work and your possessions in your locker or on top of your desk. Anything left on the floor (including models, drawings, and favourite sweaters) is sent to the landfill. At the end of the summer term (early August) the entire studio - including everything in lockers and drawers - is cleared out, so remove all of your personal belongings. When you leave for your work term, make sure that your studio space is completely cleared out to make room for a returning student.