This page provides tips on which software to use for a particular purpose and how to get started. Except as noted, software is available for both Mac and PC. In-house support for software is available from our Design Software Tutorials page and from the Computer Help Desk assistants.
Access to Lab Software in Fall 2020
During this COVID-19 period, you can access software that is located on the Faculty's lab computers, including Adobe CC, AutoCAD for Architecture, Rhino, Grasshopper, Ladybug, Revit, SketchUp Pro, VectorWorks, and V-Ray. [Note: AutoCAD, Revit, and V-Ray are not yet accessible, as of September 23.]
- For general information, refer to Dalhousie's Software Access Information page.
- Go to the Remote Lab (RLab) page and follow the instructions to install VPN (Virtual Private Network) software (Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client) on your computer.
- Use VPN to connect to Dalhousie's network, using your NetID and password. This will give you remote access to Dalhousie's resources. Reconnect via VPN whenever you need access.
- Go to Dalhousie's Remote Student Access page and click on Architecture and Planning in the left column. The list of RLab computers will appear. You can then log in to one of the Faculty's lab computers.
Dalhousie University also provides Microsoft applications in Office 365: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, etc. Go to my.dal.ca, log in, and click on the 9-square grid at the top left.
For video conferencing, refer to the Remote Communication page.
1. Graphic Design
Adobe Illustrator CC
Useful for: making drawings and graphic art; laser cutting
Available from Adobe; also on Arch-Plan lab computers (see above)
Tutorials: Adobe; Lynda (free access to Lynda with a Halifax library card)
2. Image Processing
3. Page Layout and Compositing
Useful for: design process, desk crits, and online collaboration (with Zoom)
Available from: Conceptboard (Fall 2020 students have been enrolled in Conceptboard accounts for particular courses)
4. 2D Drafting
5. 3D Modeling and Rendering
6. Visual Scripting
Grasshopper for Rhino
Useful for: parametric modeling, physics simulation, hosting plug-ins for BIM, site and energy analysis, augmented reality projection, structural analysis (note: Mac version is not fully functional)
Available from: Food4Rhino
Tutorials: Grasshopper 3D; Modelab
8. Energy Calculation
Useful for: energy modeling
Available from: Matchbox
9. Website Design
10. Digital Presentations
11. Video Production and Editing
Useful for: digital maps
Available on Arch-Plan lab computers (see above)