Top 7 reasons to choose Dentistry at Dalhousie:
- Included in your tuition fees is a laptop, with all the materials you need for your program, including a library of up to 120 e-texts and pharmaceutical drug databases.
- The Faculty’s emphasis on technology means you’ll have hands-on experience with the latest materials, procedures, and applications—including electronic patient records.
- Starting in second year, you’ll be assigned your own patients in Dalhousie’s Dental Clinic, getting hands-on practice sooner than in many other dental schools.
- Classes on mindfulness techniques help you improve your concentration—as a student and in your future practice.
- The Faculty’s long-standing focus on community work means you can participate in dental clinic outreach opportunities—locally, across Canada, and abroad.
- The Summer Student Research Program gives you the chance to participate in research projects being conducted by members of the Faculty of Dentistry—while being gainfully employed.
- You’ll be part of the Faculty of Dentistry “family” and have many opportunities to participate in social events.
What will I learn?
In Dal's DDS program, you'll learn the skills needed to provide the best oral health services to individuals and communities. Classes combine theory and practice, with an emphasis on in-depth explorations of anatomy, histology, and pharmacology. You’ll also learn prosthodontics, periodontology, and endodontics.
What can I do?
Once you complete the DDS program, you’ll be eligible to take the licensing exams that will qualify you to practice as a dentist in Canada and the U.S. You could also apply to a specialization program, such as a combined MD/MSc in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, like Karim Al Khatib plans to do.