Associate Professor and Acting Graduate Coordinator
Phone: (902) 494-7719
Fax: (902) 494-6585
- Clinical psychology
- Eating disorders
BA Honours (York University)
MA (University of British Columbia)
PhD (University of Saskatchewan)
Dr. Sherry’s research program is focused on the role of personality traits and social processes in psychopathology. In particular, he has studied the contribution of perfectionism to depression and to binge eating. Dr. Sherry’s research program involves unique populations (e.g., romantic couples), innovative methodologies (e.g., experiencing sampling), and advanced statistics (e.g., multilevel modeling).
• Smith, M. M., Sherry, S. B., Rnica, K., Saklofske, D. H., Enns, M. W., & Gralnick, T. M. (2016). Are perfectionism dimensions vulnerability factors for depressive symptoms after controlling for neuroticism? A meta-analysis of 10 longitudinal studies. European Journal of Personality, 30, 201-212.
• Smith, M. M., Sherry, S. B., Saklofske, D. H., Chen, S., Flett, G. L., & Hewitt, P. L. (2016). Perfectionism and narcissism: A meta-analytic review. Journal of Research in Personality, 64, 90-101.
• Nealis, L. J., Sherry, S. B., MacNeil, M. A., Sherry, D. L., & Stewart, S. H. (2015). Toward a better understanding of narcissistic perfectionism: Evidence of factorial validity, incremental validity, and mediating mechanisms. Journal of Research in Personality, 57, 11-25.
• Sherry, S. B., Richards, J. E., Sherry, D. L., & Stewart, S. H. (2014). Self-critical perfectionism is a vulnerability factor for depression but not anxiety: A 12-month, 3-wave, longitudinal study. Journal of Research in Personality, 52, 1-5.
• Sherry, S. B., Sabourin, B. C., Hall, P. A., Hewitt, P. L., Flett, G. L., & Gralnick, T. M. (2014). The perfectionism model of binge eating: Testing unique contributions, mediating mechanisms, and cross-cultural similarities using a daily diary methodology. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 28, 1230-1239.
• Mackinnon, S. P., Sherry, S. B., Antony, M. M., Stewart, S. H., Sherry, D. L., & Hartling, N. (2012). Caught in a bad romance: Perfectionism, conflict and depression in romantic relationships. Journal of Family Psychology, 26, 215-225.
• Mushquash, A. R., & Sherry, S. B. (2012). Understanding the socially prescribed perfectionist’s cycle of self-defeat: A 7-day, 14-occasion daily diary study. Journal of Research in Personality, 46, 700-709.
• Sherry, S. B., & Hall, P. A. (2009). The perfectionism model of binge eating: Tests of an integrative model. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 96 690-709.
Awards and Honours
• 2016 Dalhousie University's Faculty of Science Killam Prize
• 2015 Clinical Secion of the Canadian Psychological Association: Scientist-Practitioner Early Career Award
• 2012 Discovery Centre’s Emerging Professional of Distinction Award
• 2011 H. J. Eysenck Memorial Fund Award
• 2009 Canadian Psychological Association: President’s New Researcher Award