BA Honours (York University)
MA (University of British Columbia)
PhD (University of Saskatchewan)
Dr. Simon Sherry directs Dalhousie University’s Personality Research Team. Dr. Sherry and his team are responsible for making critical advancements in our understanding of the link between personality and mental health; in particular, they have clarified the contribution of perfectionism to depression, anxiety, eating disorders, relationship problems, and suicide. Dr. Sherry also researches alcohol problems.
In his clinical practice, Dr. Simon Sherry treats and assesses various problems in both individuals and couples. He specializes in treating and assessing perfectionism, depression, anxiety, eating disorders, alcohol problems, and personality disorders. Dr. Sherry is also a strong advocate for the science and the practice of clinical psychology. He regularly works with the media as part of his goal to educate the public about mental health problems in a scientific, non-sensationalized way.
Phone: (902) 494-7719
Fax: (902) 494-6585
- Clinical psychology
- Eating disorders
- Alcohol problems
•Smith, M. M., Hewitt, P. L., Sherry, S. B., Flett, G. L., Kealy, D., Tasca, G. A., Ge, S., Ying, F., & Bakken, K. (2023). A meta-analytic test of the efficacy of cognitive behavioural therapy for perfectionism: A replication and extension. Canadian Psychology / Psychologie canadienne. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1037/cap0000360
•Isaacs, J. Y., Smith, M. M., Sherry, S. B., Seno, M., Moore, M. L., & Stewart, S. H. (2022). Alcohol use and death by suicide: A meta-analysis of 33 studies. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 52, 600-614.
•Smith, M. M., Sherry, S. B., Ray, C. M., Hewitt, P. L., & Flett, G. L. (2021). Is perfectionism a vulnerability factor for depressive symptoms, a complication of depressive symptoms, or both? A meta-analytic test of 67 longitudinal studies. Clinical Psychology Review, 84, 101982.
• Muyingo, L., Smith, M. M., Sherry, S. B., McEachern, E., Leonard, K. E., & Stewart, S. H. (2020). Relationships on the rocks: A meta-analysis of romantic partner effects on alcohol use. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 34, 629-640.
• Smith, M. M., Sherry, S. B., Saklofske, D. H., Vidovic, V., Stoeber, J., & Benoit, A. (2019). Perfectionism and the five-factor model of personality: A meta-analytic review. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 23, 367–390.
• Smith, M. M., Sherry, S. B., Chen, S., Saklofske, D. H., Mushquash, C. J., Flett, G. L., & Hewitt, P. L. (2018). The perniciousness of perfectionism: A meta-analytic review of the perfectionism-suicide relationship. Journal of Personality, 86, 522-542.
• Bartel, S. J., Sherry, S. B., Molnar, D. S., Mushquash, A. R., Leonard, K. E., Flett, G. L., & Stewart, S. H. (2017). Do romantic partners influence each other’s heavy episodic drinking? Support for the partner influence hypothesis in a 3-year longitudinal study. Addictive Behaviors, 69, 55-58.
• Smith, M. M., Sherry, S. B., Rnica, K., Saklofske, D. H., Enns, M. W., & Gralnick, T. M. (2016). Are perfectionism dimensions vulnerability factors for depressive symptoms after controlling for neuroticism? A meta-analysis of 10 longitudinal studies. European Journal of Personality, 30, 201-212.
Awards and Honours
•Dalhousie University's Faculty of Science Killam Prize
•Clinical Section of the Canadian Psychological Association: Scientist-Practitioner Early Career Award
•Discovery Centre’s Emerging Professional of Distinction Award
•H. J. Eysenck Memorial Fund Award
•Canadian Psychological Association: President’s New Researcher Award