Professor and Director of Training for the Clinical PhD Program
Phone: (902) 494-2956
Fax: (902) 494-6585
- Clinical psychology
BA/BSc (St. Francis Xavier)
Dr. Barrett’s research aims to understand how various pharmacological and non-pharmacological factors contribute to different addictive behaviours as well as to determine the extent to which there are individual differences in the roles of such factors.
- Balter L, Good KP, Barrett SP. (2015). Smoking cue reactivity in current smokers, former smokers and never smokers. Addictive Behaviors. 45: 26-29.
- Barrett SP, Collins P, Stewart SH. (2015). The acute effects of tobacco smoking and alcohol consumption on video-lottery terminal gambling. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. 130: 34-39.
- McGrath DS, Peloquin MP, Ferdinand JC, Barrett SP. (2015). Acute effects of nicotine on alcohol cue reactivity in non-dependent and dependent smokers. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology. 23(1): 29-36.
- Schlagintweit HE, Greer H, Good KP, Barrett SP. (2015). The impact of anticipated and unanticipated smoking opportunities on cigarette smoking and nicotine lozenge responses. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 147: 97-102.
- Dar R, Barrett SP. (2014). The effects of beliefs regarding drug assignment in experimental and field studies of nicotine delivery devices: A review. Journal of Psychopharmacology. 28(11): 1071-9.
Awards and Honours
2013 Faculty of Science Killam Prize