Phone: (902) 494-5177
Fax: (902) 494-6585
- Clinical psychology
- Sleep and childhood psychopathology
- Psycho-social interventions
- School psychology
MA, PhD (Toronto)
Dr. Corkum conducts clinical research in the areas of child psychopathology (particularly ADHD) and pediatric sleep. The results of her studies have been published in psychology, psychiatry and sleep journals. One of her research areas is aimed at the intervention of pediatric sleep problems, with the primary goal to reduce the negative impact of sleep problems on the development of the child (e.g., attention, learning, behaviour, social-emotional) and the functioning of the family.
- Waldon, J., Vriend, J., Davidson, F., Corkum, P. (2015). Sleep and Attention in Children With ADHD and Typically Developing Peers. Journal of Attention Disorders. 1-9. doi: 10.1177/1087054715575064
- Blotnicky, P., Martin, C., McGonnell, M., & Corkum, P. (2015). Nova Scotia Teachers’ ADHD-Related Knowledge, Beliefs, and Classroom Management Practices. Canadian Journal of School Psychology, 30, 3-21. doi: 10.1177/0829573514542225
- Speth, T.A., Coulombe, J.A., Markovich, A.N., Chambers, C., Godbout, R., Gruber, R., … Corkum, P.V. (accepted, October 2014). Barriers, facilitators and usability of an internet intervention for children aged 1-10 years with insomnia. Translational Issues in Psychological Science.
- Corkum, P., Davidson, F., Tan-MacNeill, K., & Weiss, S. (2014). Sleep in Children with Neurodevelopmental Disorders: A focus on insomnia in children with AD/HD and ASD. Sleep Medicine Clinics, 9, 149-168.
- Corkum, P., Bessey, M., McGonnell, M., & Dorbeck, A. (2014, Online First). Barriers to evidence-based treatment for children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. doi: 10.1007/s12402-014-0152-z
- Corkum, P., Bryson, S. E., Smith, I. M., Griffin, C., Hume, K., & Power, A. (2014). Professional Development Needs for Educators Working with Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders in Inclusive School Environments. Exceptionality Education International, 24(1), 33-47.
- Boerner, K.E., Coulombe, J.A., & Corkum, P. (2014). Core competencies for health professionals’ training in pediatric behavioral sleep care: A Delphi study. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 12, 1-20. doi: 10.1080/15402002.2013.874348
Awards and Honours
2013 - Rosemary Gill Award, President’s Office, Dalhousie University
2011 - Killam Prize, Faculty of Science, Dalhousie University
2008 - Outstanding Practice in Clinical Psychology, IWK Health Centre
2007 - Roger Broughton Young Investigator Award, Canadian Sleep Society