Phone: (902) 494-3432
Fax: (902) 494-6585
- Scientific Literacy
- Distance Learning
- Accessible teaching and learning strategies
- Neuroendocrinology, neuroanatomy and neuropharmacology
- Steroid hormone influence on stress, sleep and addiction
Dr. Stamp is not taking on any undergraduate or graduate research students.
BSc Neuroscience (Dalhousie)
PhD Anatomy (Cambridge)
PDF 1. Pharmacology and 2. Anatomy (Dalhousie)
Dr. Stamp’s research interests focus on educational strategies for student success, in particular those that promote engagement, independence, and accessibility. Recent projects include introducing visual components into undergraduate curriculum and incorporating student feedback into course design.
Check the Syllabus, song and video:
- Sahiti, Q. & Stamp. J.A. (2021). The use of visuals in undergraduate Neuroscience education: Recommendations for educators. Teach Psych, https://doi.org/10.1177/00986283211000326
- Cunningham, J.E.A., Stamp, J.A., & Shapiro, C.M. (2019). Sleep and major depressive disorder: a review of non-pharmacological chronotherapeutic treatments for unipolar depression. Sleep Med., S1389-9457(18)30700-7. doi:10.1016/j.sleep.2019.04.012.
- Feist, G.J., Rosenberg, E.L., Stamp, J.A., Poole, J.A. (2016). Psychology: Evaluating Connections, 2nd Canadian ed., McGraw-Hill Ryerson
- Hudson, A. and Stamp, J.A. (2011). Ovarian hormones and propensity to drug relapse: A review. Neurosci. Biobeh. Rev., 35(3); 427-36.
- Blanchard, M.M, Mendelsohn, D., & Stamp, J.A. (2009). The HR/LR model: Further evidence as an animal model of sensation seeking. Neurosci. Biobeh. Rev., 33(7); 1145-54.
- Mashoodh, R., Stamp, J.A., Wilkinson, M., Rusak, B., & Semba, K. (2008). Lack of estradiol modulation of sleep deprivation-induced c-Fos in the rat brain. Brain Res., 95(4); 562-9.
- Stamp, J.A., Mashoodh, R., van Kampen, J.M., & Robertson, H.A. (2008). Food restriction enhances peak corticosterone levels, cocaine-induced locomotor activity, and ΔFosB expression in the nucleus accumbens of the rat. Brain Res., 1204; 94-101.
Awards and Honours
2021: Excellence Award in Teaching for 1st Year Medical Sciences - Medical Sciences Society of Dalhousie University
2020: Excellence Award in Teaching for 1st Year Medical Sciences - Medical Sciences Society of Dalhousie University
2020: Dalhousie Alumni Association Faculty Award of Excellence for Teaching - Dalhousie Alumni Association
2015-16: Excellence in Teaching Award - Dalhousie Faculty of Science
2015-16: Professor of the Year - Dalhousie Undergraduate Neuroscience Society
2013-14: Professor of the Year - Dalhousie Association of Psychology Students
2011: Teacher of the Year - Dalhousie Undergraduate Neuroscience Society
2010: Outstanding Undergraduate Advisor Award - Student Academic Success Services, Dalhousie University
2008: Award for Teaching Excellence, Faculty of Science - Dalhousie Student Union
2003-04: Teacher of the Year - Dalhousie Association of Psychology Students
Introduction to Psychology & Neuroscience I and II (PSYO 1011, 1031, 1012, 1032)
Methods in Experimental Psychology & Neuroscience (PSYO/NESC 2000)
Systems Neuroscience (PSYO/NESC 2470)
Hormones & Behaviour (PSYO/NESC 3170)