Phone: (902) 494-6959
Fax: (902) 494-6585
- Cognitive Neuroscience of Language
- Reading Development
- Second language acquisition
- Deafness and hearing loss
- Sign language
BA(hons) University of Winnipeg
MSc University of Oregon
PhD University of Oregon
PDF University of Rochester
My lab uses behavioural, neuropsychological, and multi-modal neuroimaging methods (including EEG, MEG, fMRI, and DTI) to study neuroplasticity in language and related systems, including hearing and nonverbal communication. Current areas of focus include reading development, second language acquisition, aphasia treatment, and age-related hearing loss. The scope of our work ranges from discovery-oriented basic science to clinical applications and work with startups and established companies.
- Newman, A. J.. (2018). Language development in children: Sign language and cochlear implants.. In de Zubicaray, G., Schiller, N.O., and Miozzo, M. (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Neurolinguistics. Oxford, UK. Oxford University Press.
- Conrad, C., & Newman, A.J. (2018). Measuring the Impact of Mind Wandering in Real Time Using the P1-N1-P2 Auditory Evoked Potential. In Davis, F., Riedl, R., vom Brocke, J., Léger, P-M, & Randolph, A (Eds.). Proceedings of the NeuroIS Retreat 2018. Springer.
- Usai, F., O’Neil, K., and Newman, A.J.. (2017). Design and empirical validation of effectiveness of LANGA, an online game-based platform for second-language learning. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies. 11(1), 107-114. doi:10.1109/TLT.2017.2762688
- MacLeod, J., Stewart, B.M., Newman, A.J., and Arnell, K.. (2017). An electrophysiological investigation of emotionally arousing words in single and dual-task rapid serial visual presentation. Cognitive, Affective, and Behavioral Neuroscience, 17(3), 592-611. doi: 10.3758/s13415-017-0499-7
- Tremblay, A., Asp, E., T Johnson, A., Zarzycka Migda, M., Bardouille, T., and Newman, A.J.. (2016). What the Networks Tell us about Serial and Parallel Processing: An MEG Study of Language Networks and N-gram Frequency Effects in Overt Picture Description. The Mental Lexicon, 11:1, 115–160. doi: 10.1075/ml.11.1.06tre
- McWhinney, S.R., Tremblay, A., Chevalier, T.M., Lim, V.K., Newman, A.J.. (2016). Using CForest to Analyze DTI Data: A Study of White Matter Integrity in Healthy Aging. Brain Connectivity, 6(10), 747-758. DOI: 10.1089/brain.2016.0451
- Newman, A.J., Newport, E.L., Supalla, T., Fernandez, N., and Bavelier, D.. (2015). Neural systems supporting linguistic structure, linguistic experience, and symbolic communication in sign language and gesture. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the U.S.A., 112(37) 11684–11689. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1510527112