News» Go to news main
Meet Darren Gill, Class of 2021
Congratulations to the Schulich School of Law’s Class of 2021! In the coming weeks, we’ll feature Q&As with graduating law students who will reflect on their time at Weldon. Today we're talking to Darren Gill.
Why did you want to attend the Schulich School of Law?
I wanted to attend the Schulich School of Law because of the reputation of the school along with Halifax’s reputation as a friendly and collegial city. I wanted to receive a high-quality legal education in a smaller city that still had big city amenities. I am very happy with my choice!
In what ways were you involved with the law school community?
I was involved with a number of student groups at Dal, including the Business Law Association (Chair), Asian Law Students Association (Chair), Journal of Legal Studies (Copy Editor), Public Policy & Law Society (Treasurer) and LSS committees. Whether it be through the recruitment process, learning about different legal fields, representing racialized and other minority groups, or creating academic opportunities, I am so proud that I was able to be involved with groups that helped provide support and opportunities to my law school colleagues.
What is your favourite law school memory?
My favourite law school memory is from Pith & Substance in 1L. Pith & Substance is Weldon’s winter semi-formal event where members of the law school community get together, make funny videos and have a fun evening. It was very exciting to see law school peers, faculty and guests dressed up and having such a great time in such a relaxed environment. It was so very emblematic of the culture here at Schulich Law.
What will you miss most about Schulich Law?
The people! I have met so many amazing people and have made life-long friends. While graduation is goodbye for now, we are all already so excited to see one another again in the near future.
What are your post-graduation plans?
I will be completing my articles at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP in Toronto.
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Global News at 6 Halifax: June 14"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Legal expert says RCMP should replace husbands of top officers on public inquiry team"
- Professor Robert Currie ft in "Memorandum of Judgment"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "RCMP reviews hiring of 2 staffers helping prepare for mass shooting inquiry"
- Professor and Director of Health Law Institute Matthew Herder ft in "Canada releases redacted versions of COVID‑19 vaccine contracts – –"
- Professor Robert Currie ft in "Police, feds not chasing alleged sexual predators who fled country"
- Professor Robert Currie wrote "ROBERT J. CURRIE: Canada letting foreign fugitives get away with rape"
- Professor Jodi Lazare ft in "Commons Committee to consider Health of Animals bill"