News» Go to news main
Meet Darren Gill, Class of 2021
Congratulations to the Schulich School of Law’s Class of 2021! In the coming weeks, we’ll feature Q&As with graduating law students who will reflect on their time at Weldon. Today we're talking to Darren Gill.
Why did you want to attend the Schulich School of Law?
I wanted to attend the Schulich School of Law because of the reputation of the school along with Halifax’s reputation as a friendly and collegial city. I wanted to receive a high-quality legal education in a smaller city that still had big city amenities. I am very happy with my choice!
In what ways were you involved with the law school community?
I was involved with a number of student groups at Dal, including the Business Law Association (Chair), Asian Law Students Association (Chair), Journal of Legal Studies (Copy Editor), Public Policy & Law Society (Treasurer) and LSS committees. Whether it be through the recruitment process, learning about different legal fields, representing racialized and other minority groups, or creating academic opportunities, I am so proud that I was able to be involved with groups that helped provide support and opportunities to my law school colleagues.
What is your favourite law school memory?
My favourite law school memory is from Pith & Substance in 1L. Pith & Substance is Weldon’s winter semi-formal event where members of the law school community get together, make funny videos and have a fun evening. It was very exciting to see law school peers, faculty and guests dressed up and having such a great time in such a relaxed environment. It was so very emblematic of the culture here at Schulich Law.
What will you miss most about Schulich Law?
The people! I have met so many amazing people and have made life-long friends. While graduation is goodbye for now, we are all already so excited to see one another again in the near future.
What are your post-graduation plans?
I will be completing my articles at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP in Toronto.
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "USA abortion decision and Canadian implications"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Nova Scotia public inquiry will be among most expensive in Canadian history"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "RCMP frustration with MCC's findings regarding the AlertReady system"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Bill 75: Major repercussions for labour relations"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Secrecy in the courts: Exclusive study reveals increasing use of publication bans in Canada"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Court battle looms over the Emergency Act documents"
- Professor Emeritus Rollie Thompson ft in "Former PEI Director of Child Protection faces ‘substantial criticism’ in Supreme Court ruling"
- Professor Emeritus Wayne MacKay ft in "Canada’s tough gun laws aren’t enough to stop the flood of illegal firearms from the U.S."