News» Go to news main
ICYMI: KUDOS! Schulich Law Grads appointed to courts in BC and Ontario
Schulich Law grads are two of federal Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould’s newest appointments to the bench. We would like to congratulate Justice Andrew Phillip Avtar Mayer (‘99) and Justice Robyn M. Ryan Bell (‘86) for their appointments to the Supreme Court of British Columbia in Prince Rupert and the Superior Court of Justice in Ottawa, respectively.
Justice Andrew Phillip Avtar Mayer is the former General Counsel and Vice President of Commercial and Regulatory Affairs at the Prince Rupert Port Authority, where he specialized in corporate and commercial law, administrative law, Aboriginal law, and marine and environmental law. Before working with the Port Authority in 2008, Mayer practiced with the Vancouver firms Campney and Murphy (2000-2002) and Bernard LLP (2002-2008).
Fun fact: as a student, Mayer took advantage of the Schulich School of Law’s exchange program, and studied for a time at the National University of Singapore.
Justice Robyn M. Ryan Bell became a partner at Bennett Jones LLP in 1997 and practiced primarily in the areas of administrative law, commercial litigation, privacy law, and public law. She is the former director of The Advocates’ Society and, for many years, was a member of the Chief Justice of Ontario’s Advisory Committee on Professionalism. Bell previously taught civil trial advocacy at Queen’s University and has lent her expertise to a number of continuing legal education programs in Canada.
Fun fact: Bell was the gold medalist for her year at the law school.
- Schulich Law Professor Jonathon Penney's "chilling" Internet‑regulation research is more urgent now than ever
- KUDOS! 11 law school alumni appointed to the Queen's Counsel
- Schulich Law's first Mini Law School on the Road public lecture explored how to legally protect Indigenous culture
- Portrait of Burnley "Rocky" Jones (LLB '92) unveiled in Weldon's Atrium
- KUDOS! Five Schulich School of Law students win 2017‑2018 Impact Awards
- The Right Hon. Beverley McLachlin, P.C., captivated the crowd in Schulich Law's Room 105
- KUDOS! DBLSA awarded Chapter of the Year 2017‑2018 at Black Law Students' Association of Canada conference
- Wellness at Weldon's Mental Health Panel to address depression and the impact of alcohol in the legal profession