News» Go to news main
ICYMI: KUDOS! Schulich Law Grads appointed to courts in BC and Ontario
Schulich Law grads are two of federal Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould’s newest appointments to the bench. We would like to congratulate Justice Andrew Phillip Avtar Mayer (‘99) and Justice Robyn M. Ryan Bell (‘86) for their appointments to the Supreme Court of British Columbia in Prince Rupert and the Superior Court of Justice in Ottawa, respectively.
Justice Andrew Phillip Avtar Mayer is the former General Counsel and Vice President of Commercial and Regulatory Affairs at the Prince Rupert Port Authority, where he specialized in corporate and commercial law, administrative law, Aboriginal law, and marine and environmental law. Before working with the Port Authority in 2008, Mayer practiced with the Vancouver firms Campney and Murphy (2000-2002) and Bernard LLP (2002-2008).
Fun fact: as a student, Mayer took advantage of the Schulich School of Law’s exchange program, and studied for a time at the National University of Singapore.
Justice Robyn M. Ryan Bell became a partner at Bennett Jones LLP in 1997 and practiced primarily in the areas of administrative law, commercial litigation, privacy law, and public law. She is the former director of The Advocates’ Society and, for many years, was a member of the Chief Justice of Ontario’s Advisory Committee on Professionalism. Bell previously taught civil trial advocacy at Queen’s University and has lent her expertise to a number of continuing legal education programs in Canada.
Fun fact: Bell was the gold medalist for her year at the law school.
- KUDOS! Former law school professor Bruce Wildsmith receives the NSBS 2017 Distinguished Service Award
- KUDOS! Law school alumna Ann Marie Simmons (LLB '83) appointed new Provincial and Family Court judge
- KUDOS! Professor David VanderZwaag's Canada Research Chair has been renewed for seven years
- IN MEMORIAM: David A. Stewart (LLB '59)
- KUDOS! Professor Kim Brooks and alumna Nathalie Goyette appointed to the Judicial Advisory Committee for the Tax Court of Canada
- Former Chief Justice Thomas Cromwell joined members of the Cape Breton Bar Society for breakfast on Oct. 6
- KUDOS! Professor Jocelyn Downie receives 2016 CIHR Barer‑Flood Prize in Health Services and Policy Research at a ceremony in Edmonton
- KUDOS! Professor Diana Ginn presents at 24th annual International Law and Religion Symposium at Brigham Young University